Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well folks, I am looking for some info. on riding thru Canada(western) and into Alaska. haven't made a complete choise as to where to in Alaska, looking for ideas, not into what makes the loudest noise, just wish to see different sites. Like to do some camping and moteling. Roads coditions and gas stations will probably be my priorties.Plan on leaving Virginia in middle to late June and riding to Washington state and then into Canada and then Alaska and returning home no later than early August. I've found a friend to go with, anybody else wanna tag along? At this point of the the game nothing is ruled out. As far as how many miles a day...........I would think 200 to 600 a day, but mostly in the 3's - 4's.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

luddy, would love to go with you, however, the job won't let me off that long. Have a nice trip and take plenty of pictures to share on this site.

Ritchie & Lyn in Portsmouth, Va :action::action:

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

We made the trip a few years ago. We went up the Cassier Highway and back the AL-Can Highway. You will find there are a lot of areas where you will be travelling on dirt or gravel so be prepared. Some of the areas where they are doing road work you will have to ride on large rocks so be careful.

The milepost is a great site, get the magazine and take it with you. They have a motorcycle section to the website.

http://milepost.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=192&Itemid=1

I'd join you but I have to work this summer so I can take next summer off.

Make sure you take an extra gas can with you, it can be quite a few miles between stops and your gas tank will run dry.

Henry

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Oh how I wish I could go!!!

One day, for sure, one day! Just be sure to enjoy yourself and take lots of photos.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

It sounds like a great trip.
I would take along a shotgun with a 18.5" barrel for personal protection from animals and otherwise, especially camping.
It is legal in the States and you can apply for a permit to carry it through Canada with no problems.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Big E wrote:
It sounds like a great trip.
I would take along a shotgun with a 18.5" barrel for personal protection from animals and otherwise, especially camping.
It is legal in the States and you can apply for a permit to carry it through Canada with no problems.
You don't need a permit, just download a Canadian Firearms Declaration document. Once you reach the border, you hand the form to the Custom agent, pay a fee, and that's it! But I would be awfully careful about blasting away with even a 12 ga at a Brown Bear. That shotgun might prove painful going up your rear sideways! If you camp, utilize good bear sense (mainly no food or grease or blood around camp...none!) I do admit however, that I sleep better in Alaska with my Model 12 shotgun, loaded with alternate slugs and double aught -- buck and ball! -- laying next to me!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

"Seeing Alaska" has always been on my "list". It will be way in the future for me I'm afraid - have fun and I'll love seeing your pictures :cool:

I got a brochure in the mail yesterday to Alaska's Marine Highway - looks pretty cool. I need to spend more time with it. I just sent for the free DVD you can get from this site:

www.AlaskaStateFerry.travel

Looks like you can ferry your bike, book a room or pitch a tent or all on the "Alaskan Marine Highway" - pretty cool.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Would love to go up there too one day, but not this year.

Keep us updated on your plans and maybe some of us can join you for part of the journey anyway, or at least meet up for a meal or something. :)

John

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Go to Alaska..... go now.....

The trip will always be with you; and you will never be the same......

Attachments

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Go to Alaska..... go now.....
There's a problem with cash flow. Not enough flowing my way. :dude: I've got reservations for Montrose, but that's a long shot at best at the moment. We'll see how the year goes.

John

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

Alaska 2007 was the best trip i was ever on, here is a very long post with a lot of good information
http://208.43.95.107/forums/showthread.php?t=158186
from Glacier park in Montana we went up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper Alberta then up to Dawson Creek BC to the start of the Alaska Hwy, be sure to stop at the tourist center in Dawson creek to pickup the free information about the Alaska hwy, it will tell the mile marker of every motel,cmapground, gas station,Resturant, store etc along the way, very helpfull information for a first time ride

we did 10,000 miles in 18 days, mostly camped, the weather was mostly great, it was 76 degrees when we were at the Artic circle

on the way home we took the casair hwy, probably saw more bears in Canada than i'd seen in my entire life befor the trip

we road on about 400 miles of gravel but the majority of it was very easy to ride on, most of the gravel we road on could have been avoided but we all loved the adventure, if u don't want to do gravel you can probably make the trip with less than 100 miles of gravel

we didn't carry any extra gas and that was never a problem

i hope you enjoy your trip as much as we enjoyed ours

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.