Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know I haven't posted since a couple of days after Left but between not having Wi Fi and riding long days I really haven't had the time to do emails etc.
except to let my wife know where I am.

Well I am in Fairbanks Alaska tonight and with a sick Wing. I drove on the road to hell (White horse to the Alaskan border) and I got to tell ya it is without question the worst road I have ever been on in my entire 40 yrs of motorcycling.
The permafrost has played havock this yr on the road and it was like riding a motor cross event (No I am not kidding) I rode too hard and blew a fork seal and to top it off the old Antidive seizure got me. I made it to Fairbanks in hope of getting the cycle shop here to disable it or fix it. Felt like a ridged except on the front...lol. This would be my only chance if I am to do the Dalton to Deadhorse. I have put on almost 9,000 Klms so far.

Anyway I just wanted to post to let you guys know where I am and that I am indeed still alive and kicking. Again sorry for not posting, I know there are some guys that wanted to see my progress. It's calling for rain for the next 2 days and the Dalton would be no place for a goldwing in those conditions, so we will wait and see if I can hang around long enough to get my

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update on the road from hell. I just talked to a guy who came up the same road
That I did and took out his rear shock on a fairly new BMW adventure bike.
No small feat considering it was made for this kind of stuff. He also told me he had seen a guy on a wing lose his ride and ended up in the boonies. Not hurt but the bike was. I am amazed that all the motor homes I seen on that road that there isn't more serious accidents, I mean how can their suspension take that pounding and what about clearance? The roads get much better after you cross into the USA (Alaska). I hope the scenery down in the Kenai peninsula is worth the effort it takes to get here.

I did make it to Sturgis and Deadwood and had a nice cold beer then rode the black hills and also seen Rushmore. Then I hightailed it to Spokane and on up to Kelowna BC were I stayed for a day and visited with relatives. That area is beautifully and my favourite so far. Now I gotta tell ya that South Dakota and Montana are also very nice and a pleasure to ride in. Most of the bikes on the roads of America that I came across were by far Harley's.
(I call it like I see it) however when you get up here in AK the majority of bikes are adventure bikes

I am going to try and at least make the Arctic circle sign post before I retreat to
Civilization because I am soon approaching the mid point of my trip. If the weather holds out I my see most of what I had intended.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Sounds good, never say Die !!!!

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Hope you enjoy the ride as you get back underway. Those roads take a helluva beating and change season to season. Hard to predict what you'll run into, but it might be worth a stop to talk to the Troopers or RCMP in Canada to get a rough idea of current conditions. Definitely not super-slab!!
Hope you get healed up mechanically, and get the weather to enjoy the country. When we were up there last (FAI) I had a bit of trouble finding much of a Honda shop. HD not a problem.

Ride safe. Just read about a mc fatality up there yesterday. Tangle-up between a bike and a motor home. Bike lost. Hit the right front passenger side according to what I read. How do you suppose that happened, I bet the driver 'didn't see him'. Watch out for those boats...folks that drive a prius to work every day go to Alaska and rent a road-schooner to see the state. Got no idea of what it is they are in command of.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Been up there twice: once in 1992, with an '81 Interstate fitted with a Motorvation sidecar, in which was a rollickin' six year old boy.....

And again in 2005..... on a 1996 Aspencade with my lovely wife on pillion only.....

Roads weren't that bad, the motorhomes all missed us, and we loved both trips...proud of both of them.....

·
650 Posts
would you happen to have anymore of those vintage pics? very interested, enjoy looking and peoples adventures! thanks

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
edit

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
would you happen to have anymore of those vintage pics? very interested, enjoy looking and peoples adventures! thanks
sure, all from '92 (note: we were very nervous on our first trip up, and expected the worst of everything.... I had tucked away in the side car a 12 ga shotgun, a come-along, extra food, etc. As it turned out, all our fears were exaggerated, fed by "hero accounts" of people who had gone before.... The Alaskan Highway is a doable adventure, even for a family, and not to be feared. You ain't goin' to the moon! Load up, grab your copy of the Milepost and head on up...you'll never be sorry.)

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I bet that's one 'six-year-old boy' that has some AMAZING stories!!!!
Not many kids can claim a trip like that one. Good goin'.

·
650 Posts
awesome pictures looks to have been a wonderful adventure im sure I cant wait to experience it myself!

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Sooo... COUG

Did you get back on the road ok? I'm guessing by the lack updates that you are once again in flight and hopefully will update us when you touch down again.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Hey COUG, I think I was at the Honda shop in Anchorage when you were there. You and I were looking at the new silver goldwing that was on the showroom floor. We were standing outside waiting for the shop to open. I was thinking of asking you if you were a member of this forum. I wish I would have now. I hope you got your wing fixed and all is well. Good luck on your return home.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Beautiful place... Just got back myself, from a cruise thru the insie passage, then rail from Skagway to Whitehorse, then bus on the Al-Can to Beaver Creek, & Fairbanks, ending the trip in Anchorage, where we took a ferry tour of the Glaciers in Prince William Sound. We accompanied my friends 80+ yr-old parents, to assist them with the trip.

While there are a few stretches of the Al-Can one would want to drive at a more moderate pace, IMHO, it is readily doable on a wing, and I am in process of planning my next summers adventure to hopefully be able to return via the Wing, and get in a little fishing while there...;)

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hello akwinger, sorry it took so long to reply. Yes I remember you and I did get it fixed
but not without inccident. Someone stole my left side speaker grill while it sat outside waiting to be fixed. I assume someone other than the shop because they said they didn't have it. I also lost my leather jacket when I was in Anchorage. (dropped it at a gas station on the way out of town and forgot about it until it was to late) The rest of the trip went well except for a section in Ontario. Read my latest post on this trip. I wish you had of asked me about being a forum member, oh well next time. I am getting itchy to go back up there....lol

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wingunner, I stayed in Colville on my way up to Alaska. Too bad I didn't know you and hook up at that time. We could of had a few brewsky's ....lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.