Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk
564 Posts
If anyone sees a better way or we made a mistake please chime in.

Well finalized the plan today.

Leave Marengo.................... 7/5 Sunday
SR229 west....

SR 23 north

SR15 north

I-75 north

I-80 west.......... Marengo Oh to Madison Wi 464 miles 7/5 Sunday

I-39 north to Madison..... Madison Wi to Fargo ND 502 miles 7/6 Monday

I-94 west to Glendive Montana.... Fargo to Glendive Mt 389 miles 7/7 Sunday

220s to 13n at circle

13 north to 2 west ......... Glendive Mt to Billings Mt 220 miles 7/8 Monday

2 west to GNP ....... Billings Mt to GNP 367 miles 7/9-7/11 Tues & Wed leave Thurs

Camp at Fish Creek (GNP) July 9 to leave July 12

Cross into Canada

2 to 216 west

216 west to 16 west

16 west to 43 north

43 north to 2 at Dawson Creek

2 to 97

up to Daneli.

This link will take you to a map of my travels.
I have not been able to have the maps just show up.

Make sure you click on the satellite in the upper RIGHT coroner of the map and zoom in.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0dXuOxVbzgWjX1jHpIqG50kXyXQq6Q0g0

·
Administrator
57,679 Posts
This link will take you to a map of my travels.
I have not been able to have the maps just show up.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0dXuOxVbzgWjX1jHpIqG50kXyXQq6Q0g0
Where there is a will, there is always a way.

by transferring your route to PhotoBucket, it is easy to link it to this forum.

EDIT: 12/3/2017
the bastards at PhotoBucket have now required a fee of $400/year to view links to their pix.

Yeah, right, they want to charge $400/year.... screw the b'tards.

Attachments

·
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks like a long way-- now.
Thank you for getting it to come up for everyone.

I can not believe in 30 hours I will "
start that engine"
I still have to roll another carton of cigarettes, pick and pack my clothes, and get some sleep. I bought an extra clutch and brake handles -just in case- in Dec or Jan. Do you think I can find them now? Looking for them and I found some things that might come in handy. Never did find them.

Soon it will be 29 hours

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you need something...

I live in Edmonton Alberta, Canada. If you need something do not hesitate to call on me. I'll P.M. you my cell #, just in case. I did the trip in 1992, the 50th Anniversary year. Be prepared for stretches of gravel, with plenty of dust. When they repair the road, they put gravel over it, and then repave. Even though it was the 50 th Anniversary, there were 3 or 4- 20 to 40 k.m. stretches of gravel. When a truck goes by it is blinding! When I went, my bike only got 215 k.m./tank. I never ran out of fuel, or even came close. I never skipped a lot of stations either though. I found that to be a great trip. Don't think that you'll cover the same mileages as you do "down south", due to the traffic and scenery though, lots of motorhomes and trailers. I also remember that close to the Alaskan border, on the Cdn. side was very "bumpy". It actually was frost heaves, that would bottom the suspension. Also had one day of rain, that was very cool. About 10 celcius, or 50 degrees F. Take what you need for riding in rain, cold, hot and for bugs. Lots of BIG mosquitos! If you gotta buy it past Edmonton, it starts getting pricier. Would go again in a heartbeat!

·
Administrator
57,679 Posts
Wes, I highly suggest you take along a gallon gas container. I would use a heavy duty plastic one as they are easier to bungee cord to something. That extra 30 miles just might save your goose somewhere on the trip.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
From the looks of it you're planning on going from Calgary to Edmonton to Hinton then Dawson Creek.

Calgary to Hinton is all super slab.

My choice would be Calgary to Canmore, Banff, Lake Louis, Ice fields parkway to Jasper then to Mcbride, Prince George and on to Dawson Creek.

Yes it would take a little longer but the riding would be more enjoyable and the scenery is spectacular.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I have a 2 gal can on the trailer.

6 1/2 hours to starting my engine.
Make sure it wont leak, i came up the Alcan in 1992, had an extra fuel tank on trailer, it leaked all over clothing and food. But road then was bad, much better now.
Just before Alaska border is worst, a royal mess if wet, be careful and have a safe trip

·
Administrator
57,679 Posts
Looks like Wes has decided to put it to bed for tonight at the Four Star Campground

Here is his full trip for today, the above pix is the campground location only.

This is the route he traveled today.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
What would be really really cool would be a daily download of a Go Pro type of video, especially when he gets way up north past Dawson Creek.
Weather today in Wasilla was awesome, i just slept through it.

·
Administrator
57,679 Posts
I just zeroed in on his campsite to within about 30 feet...
He left the SPOT for almost an hour after he got there, and was able to triangulate the center of where he "should be"...

·
Administrator
57,679 Posts
Today, about 450 miles, got a late start and at 6 PM he was only averaging 45 mph having covered 399 miles in 9 hours and 5 minutes.

I know he is pulling a trailer, but I don't know if his wife is with him or not.

If he don't get a move on, he is going to run out of time.

When Andy and I leave his home in Cabot, AR and we head up towards DC, we plan to try to put down 800 miles the first day by leaving at the crack of dawn.... we want to pull into DC around noonish the 2nd day so we have some time to view the sites. Then a full day of gawking the next couple of days.... then Sunday we are heading to SC and check in to the NASSIR8 hotel.

·
Administrator
57,679 Posts
I went back and looked at Wes' first post in this thread, and it seems that he is a full day behind his projected schedule.

Does anyone has Wes' cellphone number? I have his landline phone # but that won't quite reach to where he is now :rofl:

·
Administrator
57,679 Posts
Looks like Wes forgot to turn the SPOT on this morning...

did that a couple times myself, all too easy to do.
You punch the button, and you take off thinking it is ON...
but I soon learned to wait until AFTER I get the OK message received on my cellphone verifying that thing is working.

That single point is just a "Check I'm OK" info signal he sent when he stopped for fuel.
He still does not realize it is not in tracking mode.

Bad thing him not giving me a cellphone number......

but,,,, tenacity delivers.... I found his wife's phone number in the SPOT account number info and called her, and got all the cellphone numbers for him and the two friends riding with him.

Sent a text message they should get it on the next fuel stop hopefully.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 245 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.