Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If anyone is interested, on February 14th at Des Plaines Honda (http://www.dsphonda.com/) I, along with two other people who went with me, will be putting on a movie/slide show/question and answer seminar on our 2006 motorcycle trip to Alaska. I will also have some hand outs.

For a quick preview here is something I did for our web site: http://gwtailc.org/pages/waldo.htm

I THINK it's suppose to go from 10am to 12pm.

I know it's Valentine's Day, but I plan to be out of there in early.

So, if you would like to know what is involved in a 8,000 mile, 3 week motorcycle trip to Alaska, stop by and say hi.

Yours In Friendship
Burt

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

Depending on work and weather. We may run up there for the day.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Actually there was only short patches of gravel. I'd say total 5 miles on the whole trip. The rest was all paved. What gravel we did hit was hard packed and not to bad to drive on.

We did hit one part where we went about a mile or so on wet dirtt. That was slippery and a bit white knuckling

Burt.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I hope you do a detailed ride report here on the forum. I dream of it one day and like learning everything I can.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

If you go to my club's web page at: http://www.gwtailc.org and click on the link for "Where in the world is Waldo' you can read my blog of the trip. Try and remember that it is written from the perspective of my mascot.

I also put a direct link to that in my first posting.

Burt

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
sure .....be right over
Think I've canned my trip up there not gonna ride 400 + km on gravel
CC..... I'm begging you to reconsider and go! It's not that bad, and our two trips up there are always good for those3:00 am memory sessions! You and I are lucky to live near enough to make Alaska very feasible.....

You just gotta do er' Buddy! If nothing else, buy a beater and go, you can probably sell it up there for a profit big enough to ride the boat down even.....

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

If I ride the Alaskan highway, I am going to ride my most crappy looking Goldwing.

Everyone that I have ever spoken to that took that trip said the road sandblasted the bike/car.

I remember our neighbor that bought a 3 month old Chevy from a dealer that used the vehicle to take a trip to Alaska. All the paint was chipped.

But, I'm sure the ride is fantastic.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
If I ride the Alaskan highway, I am going to ride my most crappy looking Goldwing.

Everyone that I have ever spoken to that took that trip said the road sandblasted the bike/car.

I remember our neighbor that bought a 3 month old Chevy from a dealer that used the vehicle to take a trip to Alaska. All the paint was chipped.

But, I'm sure the ride is fantastic.

Well, if you don't ride the Alaskan, you'll miss scenes like this anda roadlike this.... which makes up about 85% of the ride..... I have difficulty understanding why people would choose their paint over perhaps the best ride on the North American continent...... just boggles me..... wrote a story about it once, the access below! I'd rather die beside a bike battered and beaten by miles, than a bike with flawless paint smothered in wax, and no miles on the odometer........ yessir.......

:cheeky1:

"In 1992, Red and I and my six year old son, Josh, headed up the rainy Alaskan Highway on an 81′ Goldwing Interstate (for which we’d paid the grand sum of $2495) bolted to a used Motorvation sidecar ($2200). By the time we’d reached Stone Mountain Provincial Park, we’d figured out the handling of the rig, and had settled on the most efficient packing plan. We were camping all the way, and were having an hilarious time."

http://goldwingfacts.com/blog/?cat=3

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

You are lucky because of your proximity to Alaska. I am not sure how to get the time to go; would have to fly out in your area and rent a bike.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
ccsailor wrote:
sure .....be right over
CC..... I'm begging you to reconsider and go! It's not that bad, and our two trips up there are always good for those3:00 am memory sessions! You and I are lucky to live near enough to make Alaska very feasible.....

You just gotta do er' Buddy! If nothing else, buy a beater and go, you can probably sell it up there for a profit big enough to ride the boat down even.....
Well I do have that 1500 in the garage almost ready to Go HMMMMMM:?:?

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the ride report!!!:bowing:

I read every word. I dream of an Alaskan trip one day and sure hope it happens. The added distance from central Florida would really make it an adventure!!

The cost you listed was just the expense you had, not the entire group??

And the ferry cost, was that the entire group oreach???

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
Thanks for the ride report!!!:bowing:

I read every word. I dream of an Alaskan trip one day and sure hope it happens. The added distance from central Florida would really make it an adventure!!

The cost you listed was just the expense you had, not the entire group??

And the ferry cost, was that the entire group oreach???
The ferry from Bellingham is ridiculously expensive... they charge you the same rate as a small car BUT when I asked they would not say whether or not you really end up jammed in a corner like BC ferries does!!!! total rip!!!!! Dunno what would happen if you boarded and insisted on the full space you paid for (NOT gonna be me!!!)

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
sure .....be right over
we did close to 400MILES of gravel on our Alaska trip but that was only because we chose to ride a lot of gravel roads that we really could have avoided if we wanted to

the gravel up there is a lot easier to ride on than the gravel here in wisconsin

some folks hate to ride on gravel and thats understandable but believe me its nowhere near as bad as some folks claim, i'd say anyone that decides not to make the Alaska trip because of probably less than 100 miles of gravel is really missing out on a GREAT trip

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.