Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok you international GW's %@$#, what do you think of the idea, if I leave here(N. Virginia) driving North to Canada and then head West to the coast of Canada and then North again to Alaska. Times no proble, cost is somewhat. I'll be camping and hoteling it. What do you think as far as gas cost, lodging cost, and the experience. If I put it on a credit card, will it be charged in U.S. funds or Canadian funds. Should I have Canadian currency or U.S. or both. Heart say just go, but brain and body say ask someone who has already tried it. Got busted up last year on trip to Washington, still have holes in knees to prove it.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

I did the Alaska thing in 2006, 8,000 miles. I'd advise taking around $100 Canadian. While you can use your credit card for everything, they automatically exchange rate it to US, you will still need some cash. Locals will kill you on the exchange if you give them US currency.

To read about my trip go to my chapter web page at: www.gwtailc.org and click on the Where in the world is Waldo link. It is a blog of my trip taken from the perspective of my mascot.

I also advise carrying a 1gal can of gas. While we never ran out, it can be a long way between fill-ups.

Burt

They other day my wife asked me what I was going to do today, I told her "nothing." She said "didn't you do that yesterday?" I told her "I wasn't finished yet." Nice to be retired.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

There's no land-based route along the West coast of Canada to Alaska - if by Coast you mean along or close to the water. You would have to travel inland a couple of hundred miles or more from the coast when heading North - up Highway 97 or 16 and then decide if you wanted to travel part way by the Marine Highway out of Prince Rupert. The trip from or to Alaska via a passenger/vehicle ferry either out of Prince Rupert or Seattle or Bellingham should be part of your trip. There's a couple of other ways using water routes as well.

American cash should be welcomed everywhere, although you may not always get the correct exchange rate - but you will quite often. A debit card should do you well at all but the most obscure places. As will a Visa or Mastercard. Unless you're James Bond you may find that a number of the smaller stores don't take Amex.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I have looked at doing the ALCAN Hwy from here and I think it would be 9-10,000 miles. Long distance run like this you gotta fingure in a couple of oil changes and at least a rear tire swap at some point. Also you probably need to be prety self suffecient on the tire repair type of stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

My first thought is stay on the states side until you get to central British Columbia. Nothing much to see north of the boarder but South Dakota, Montana and Idaho are wonderful. Gas, lodging and fuel are MUCH cheaper in the USA as well.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

we rode to Alaska in 2007

i've been on lots of motorcycle trips but theAlaska trip was the best

10,000 smiles for us

we did stop at a bank in Canada and picked up a couple hundred in Canadian cash but we mostly used creditcards,creditcard companies do the conversions from US to Canadian money but they also charge a fee for doing it, no way around that as far as i know

gas was expensive in Canada but wenever hada problem finding it when needed, just make sure upay attention to where the next town with gas might be

we stayed in the USA untill we got to Glacier Park, then up to Jasper Canada via the Icefields Parkway, then the Alaska Hwy

if u like to see bear u will see plenty !

if your looking for information and pictures about the Alaska trip check this out

http://208.43.95.107/forums/showthread.php?t=158186

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I've gone twice, and... I might go again! If I do, I'll eat fresh baked, fresh caught salmon here......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
imported post

cycledude thanks for posting that link ... I went to check it out and ended up sitting at the computer for a very pleasant hour reading Galutes blog of their trip. I also have Alaska as a goal and was hoping to do it in spring of 2010 if all works out ....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.