Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

I got my forks back from my local Honda dealer (RR seals and Progressive spring installation) and I'm in the process of re-installation. I had also removed the steering stem to replace the bearings and races. Stem is re-installed.

I'm having a little problem getting the tire, forks, and handlebars aligned right. Is there a trick to do this? Just when I think its right, I look and the handlebars are straight ahead, but the tire is pointing alittle to the left, or vice versa. Nothing is tightened down (fork clamps, axle bolt, steering stem locknut) so I have some play to work with. Any help or suggestions welcome.

Bike is a 1995 GL1500i

TIA

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Usual procedure for this (it happens when assembling new bikes) is to tighten the top end first (steering bearings, bars) and get someone to hold them straight as you pull on the lower forks, they often don't be aligned in relation to one another and the wheel ends up a bit off. If you aree on your own with this, after tightening the top just bring the bike to the kerb (put some cardboard against the kerb to protect the wheel) and from the handlebar end just swing the wheel against the kerb a coupl eof times. That always does the trick!

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

I've seen this problem in bike shops and a favourite method for jogging everything into alignment (similar to skooters way) is to put the bike onto a bike table and clamp the front wheel. Then grab the bars and wiggle them until the alignment is right and then clamp the bottom end bolts up (axle clamps calipers etc) when it looks right.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

BenMC wrote:
I've seen this problem in bike shops and a favourite method for jogging everything into alignment (similar to skooters way) is to put the bike onto a bike table and clamp the front wheel. Then grab the bars and wiggle them until the alignment is right and then clamp the bottom end bolts up (axle clamps calipers etc) when it looks right.
I couldn't believe what I was reading, it seems like butchery. But I asked a few bike mechanics about this and they all confirmed what Paul & Ben say. When bikes fall the handlebars oftenget twisted sideways and the common way to reset them in the bike shop is as you lads described. Apparently it's better if the owner of the bike isn't present when this method is used. :(

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

You were right guys. I had to get a little rough with my baby. But all looks pretty good now. Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.