Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for 99,000 mile maintenance. I needed a new rear tire so yesterday I did that along with lubing my driveshaft splines and changing the final drive oil. Then today I checked the valve clearances, all in spec, replaced the spark plugs and air filter, and a few other soft items & sprayed some new paint on the front lower cowl, the rock chips the road crews seem to be determined to cover all the roads with had it chipped up pretty bad. Took me 1 1/2 hours to do the air filter, slowing down in my old age. Struggled with connectors, they never were easy but arthritis in my hands plus I punched a hole in my right index finger and it's sore. Glad that's over with for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Kind'a hard to keep them stubby digits out'a the way at times...

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I remember when you changed air filter last time at around 50K Ithink, you said that you could wait longer next time.
What was the condition of the filter this time?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I remember when you changed air filter last time at around 50K Ithink, you said that you could wait longer next time.
If I had an 1800 I would put a Fiterminder on the bike and run it until the very end. Almost all diesels use them and they save a lot of money when you can pay $200 for a filter. If you buy a 3/4 ton GM pick up (or bigger) they come with one OEM. Probably get one at the boneyard for $5.00 Fuel injected engines are not near as fussy about dirty air filters.
If you go with the big buck Filterminder you can get red, yellow and green lights. Not sure where to mount them.

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really it could have gone much longer. Had a little over 50K on it. Spark plugs showed a little rounding on the center electrode.

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I had an 1800 I would put a Fiterminder on the bike and run it until the very end. Almost all diesels use them and they save a lot of money when you can pay $200 for a filter. If you buy a 3/4 ton GM pick up (or bigger) they come with one OEM. Probably get one at the boneyard for $5.00 Fuel injected engines are not near as fussy about dirty air filters.
If you go with the big buck Filterminder you can get red, yellow and green lights. Not sure where to mount them.
Could be T'd into the air box drain hose. I intended to put a vacuum gauge on the air box drain hose before and after but didn't remember until I had the filter out. It's not that bad to change anyway. I would rather do 2 1800 air filters than 1 1500 rear tire or 4 for a 1500 carb job.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Could be T'd into the air box drain hose. I intended to put a vacuum gauge on the air box drain hose before and after but didn't remember until I had the filter out. It's not that bad to change anyway. I would rather do 2 1800 air filters than 1 1500 rear tire or 4 for a 1500 carb job.
Hooking in to the air box drain hose is an excellent idea. Have to keep it high so no water can get in it though of course. If you have never seen a filter that has recached the yellow or red lines on a Filterminder you will be amazed at the amount of debris the filter can hold with little or no restriction. In diesel trucks the filters would hold so much that if you tap it on the floor a few times you could gather it up and make a baseball size "dirtball." So many think you must change air filters when they get a black spot on them. It's OK but a waste of work and money.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
900 Posts
When I bought my 1500 at 43k miles three years ago I had it apart to add some accessories and while things were apart checked the air filter. Evidently at some point in time Mr. Mouse had the air box under consideration as an apartment, but never moved in, there were a dozen or so dried berries in the filter. I knocked those out and held the filter to the sun to look thru it. Even though there were some black spots on it, there was lots of light easily passing thru the filter. Likely the original filter. Plenty good. So I put it back in. This spring I had the bike apart again. 52k Miles. Found the filter still in same condition, minus the berries. At this rate it will likely be 100k miles before the filter actually needs changed.

I'm working on Deb's '99 Pontiac. The 3800 V6 at 150k miles has developed the famous coolant leak in the upper intake air plenum, so I have the intake all disassembled, new plenum en-route from Rockauto. In the 11 years Deb and I have been together I've never changed or even looked at the air filter, who knows when it was last changed. I knocked a little dust out of it, but it is actually cleaner than the filter in the bike. No need to replace at all!.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
While on filter conversation,
My Lincoln MKX is 3 years old and I thought I would check the cabin air filter,it was gross,we don’t smoke and keep the inside clean but the filter was near plugged,I had noticed the blower seemed to be working hard,so if you have a vehicle with cabin filter and havent changed the cabin filter,it might need attention.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,900 Posts
our 2007 Pontiac Vibe's A/C was just about useless.
Pulled the cabin air filter and it was completely full of dust and fuzzy hair like stuff....
we have 3 dogs that travel with us.

new filter and it works like new again.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
It is a neglected item BUT not knowing it has one is a drawback.

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the filter I just took out, a lot of people would think it's dirty but it's not really. The dirt is just on top of the pleats.
air filter 50k.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Cabin filters get gross and require almost annual maintenance but most are not aware. Engine air filters last a long time and most change them when they get a stain on them. Another clue your cabin filter needs attention is when the side windows of the car will not defog. There is a lot more air going through that tiny cabin filter and it draws in crap from trees etc. Tex, smoking has no affect on the cabin filter. It filter outside air coming in only. That is unless you lay on the hood and smoke. 😎

Which filters better? Top or bottom filter?

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cabin filters get gross and require almost annual maintenance but most are not aware. Engine air filters last a long time and most change them when they get a stain on them. Another clue your cabin filter needs attention is when the side windows of the car will not defog. There is a lot more air going through that tiny cabin filter and it draws in crap from trees etc. Tex, smoking has no affect on the cabin filter. It filter outside air coming in only. That is unless you lay on the hood and smoke. 😎

Which filters better? Top or bottom filter? View attachment 324197
Depends on what car, Hondas filter both outside and inside air.
The bottom one filters better.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Depends on what car, Hondas filter both outside and inside air.
The bottom one filters better.
Ever wonder how much money is spent on eye candy and propaganda? My neighbor spend $100 every spring to tune up his walk behind mower then another $100 in the fall for his blower.
Oh, I forgot. Up here we have machines that blow snow frozen rain) 😎 in the winter.

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ever wonder how much money is spent on eye candy and propaganda? My neighbor spend $100 every spring to tune up his walk behind mower then another $100 in the fall for his blower.
Oh, I forgot. Up here we have machines that blow snow frozen rain) 😎 in the winter.
Oh, I used to see it all the time at work. Most of it was because people were sold things they didn't need, like air and cabin filters, brake pads & snake oil.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
Our Elantra (2015) still has the original air filter at 80k. Once a year I tap out the crud that can be tapped out and throw it back in. MPG is unchanged since new.

My bike is a 2015 Triumph Trophy SE. Factory says new air filter every 10k. I did it the first two times because of warranty, but skipped it at 30k and will look at it at 40k. I think it had to do with the work involved just to get to the filter. Fairing fully off, tank off, ...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts