Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just talked with axelwik for a bit. A feller he knows has a number of bikes, one of which is a honda xl650r with an all wheel drive system.

This is what I found on it... its apparently a kit.

http://www.christini.com/awd-technology.php

pretty interesting.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,172 Posts
imported post

I foresee a lot of chain trouble with that system.

I think I will pass on that. Why complicate the front end of the bike?

For bikes that aren't ridden too much, and mostly on the weekends in dirt conditions, I can see it helping.

but not for a street bike.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

http://tinyurl.com/9b34en

KTM's been testing and racing them for a while, working the bugs out. I think I read last year that they may have one for sale soon. Cool Tech. :)

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Dont think they were meant, ever, for street. What marco was telling me was that the thing is unstoppable in sand...

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

The Rokon has had that for years. Works very well. What a great elk/deer hunting machine. It's much simpler going down to the wheel hub. Here's an older shot. The chain drive is on the left of wheel.

Attachments

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Notice drive on left side.

Attachments

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

they say that if you keep air in the tires, not calcium chloride for weight, that they will float enough to let you walk on across deep water? Am I remembering that right, Bob?

http://arba.com.my/products_floatingbike.htm

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

You hit the nail on the head, Dick. They did indeed float. Those were quite a rig if one wasn't in a hurry. The later ones had all sorts of engines, aside from the teeny West Bend. Honda was fairly popular. Oh, btw, the wheels would hold water, gas, or ??? Pretty neat. My uncle had one, and I was jealous, compared to my Doodle-Bug, it was quite the machine. Would love to have one, these days.

I'll bet that fwd kit for that Honda would be very expensive, and looks like it would require some major machine work on the frame. $$$$$$$

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

If I remember correctly, the rokon hubs are actually a tank that you can fill with extra fuel. I saw one of those things plowing through powder snow that was almost up to the handlebars.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

They have made those for years. They also have gone out of business a couple of times, since their appeal is limited.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I'm surprised they're still in business. Foreign military??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.