Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just moved in AZ from FL and ready to be on the road again.
In FL. we don't need riding gears when its too hot we don't ride and when its raining we love it because we cooling of . But now i plan a ride in June from AZ to Colorado i don't want to over pack but like to have the right gears .
Open to any suggestion

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
The Test forum isn't the place for this Danny. I'm moving it to the General Discussion forum for you.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
In the desert dry heat of the summer you will want a vented jacket to keep the sun off the skin and let the breeze flow through, and have a cooling vest underneath the jacket to act as a swamp cooler to help cut the heat effects. I went through Quartzite in Aug(110 deg) to get up to Flagstaff to CO and east to WI and then New England.
Once it hit 90 deg at 9 am in Palm Desert I put the cooling vest on from my cooler(left wet in large 1 or 2 gal ziplock baggie)over night in fridge then in cooler till needed. It was still hot but bearable after an hour cooldown in McD's in Quartzite and a fresh vest(had 2) Also had 2 neck cooling wraps.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Armored Mesh jacket, with long sleeved cotton shirt. Then pack a waterproof breathable outer jacket (forget the zip out liners) then when it gets cold the mesh jacket becomes your insulating layer, no need for sweaters and fleece ect. inside. This combo serves me well from over 100F right down to minus 30F.
I also use a helmet liner, and pack cooling collars, a fleece collar, different gloves, and over booties for the wet stuff.

A cooling vest works very well for an hour or so if you are going out into the dry heat over the hundred mark, and in the desert it can often reach 115-120F.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
In the desert dry heat of the summer you will want a vented jacket to keep the sun off the skin and let the breeze flow through, and have a cooling vest underneath the jacket to act as a swamp cooler to help cut the heat effects....
+1... That was my year-around riding outfit (minus the cooling vest in winter of course).

Since my leather jacket wore out, I've been using a Scorpian textile vented jacket, but it's just not as good as leather! Dang, can't seem to find a decent vented leather jacket anymore... kinda funny, as 15yrs ago that's all that existed for biker clothes!

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Aerostich Darien jacket and pants. It has many options which will run someone from cold to hot. The cordura nylon shell is very good in the heat with the vents open, great in rain and is available in lighter colors for safety.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
The Joe Rocket Velocity jacket seems to get very favorable reviews for summer use. My Tourmaster Rincon is a great winter jacket, but I wouldn't bother having it if I lived in AZ I think. I'm planning on buying a Velocity when our weather warms up this year.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Most every time I've ridden in AZ the most important thing on the bike was my cooling vest under a mesh jacket. It works better under the mesh than without because the mesh jacket does slow down the evaporation a bit so the cool lasts longer. I like a white helmet in hot weather too. Ventilated gloves are also worth their weight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.