Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Honda Guru
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'd installed new wheel bearings (Honda) in my 88 1500 about 15k miles ago and noticed that there was some play in the bearings last week. I didn't think too much about it at the time… hey, bearings wear out. So I ordered a set of AllBall bearings. They arrived yesterday so today I tore apart the rear wheel to install them. Just for grins i got a sharp scribe and pulled off the seals on the bearings to make sure they were properly packed with grease. THERE WASN'T ANYTHING MORE THAN A FILM INSIDE THE BEARINGS.

Now…. I've been a car and motorcycle tech for a lot of years… and Lord knows they've made some amazing upgrades since I first started to turn a wrench but I know there should be grease packed inside a bearing and what we have here is a cheap shot at producing a product that is doomed to fail. Their quality control really sucks.

That'll be the last time I recommend All Balls bearings without the notation to make sure to pack the bearings with grease.

My question now….. are other makers of bearings doing the same thing?? Is this common???

·
Pwhoever
3,165 Posts
imported post

Rut roh!!! I just instaled AllBalls bearings on my front and rear wheels. I was under the impression that these were sealed bearings packed with grease already and no grease was needed. This info is kind of disheartening.

Is there a way to add grease to them without having to pull the bearings back out? If not, I may just run them like this and when the time comes, replace them with OEM. Hopefully this will not come too soon though....

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

rayworx wrote:
My question now….. are other makers of bearings doing the same thing?? Is this common???
Not only is it common it's universal.
In my former job we used a lot of ball bearings that were to be single sealed and it was easier to buy double sealed and pull one seal. Out of the thousands I pulled seals on I never found any with more than a smear and perhaps a few tiny blobs of grease.

By the way, as far as I know All-balls doesn't manufacture bearings. They buy them from the same factories that manufacture for the major brands and package them as kits.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I use the All Balls and still back the entire space between the two bearings with good bearing grease.

I figure if things get warm down there, the grease will thin and run into the bearing. And even if it doesn't, it keeps any dirt and dust out of the bearings.

It's cheap and it can't hurt.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I got lucky the first time I bought A/B bearings. The counter guy told me and showed me the minimum grease that came from the factory. He said to pack the bearings with good bearing grease so I did and still are running the bearings with no problems.

·
Honda Guru
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Rudy….
You're right… it's cheap and it doesn't hurt. I don't think it helps either. Packing bearing grease 'between' the 2 bearings doesn't help if there's no grease where the bearing rollers are… inside the bearing.
Pw… you will have to pull the wheel off but won't have to remove the bearings.
You can access the wider bearing and then use a very sharp scribe to pry out the grease seal. Use caution and be sure you don't damage it. Pry from the outside surface, fill with grease and then just pop it back in by hand.
The other bearing…. you'll have to remove the final driven flange. Then do the same thing with the grease seal as the other bearing.

Ken…. I used to deal with single sided bearings from Honda a lot and they were always pre-greased from the factory. Even the bearings with no dust seals got pre-greased from the factory. I doubt that Honda makes their own bearings either but at least they were coming from Honda with grease in them. The double sealed bearings…. I can't say but I just assumed that they were also pre-greased like the single sealed bearings were.
Maybe not…. or maybe it was just the bearings specifically for Honda that got the grease… don't know. But I do know I'm very disappointed in All Balls.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
imported post

ive put new bearings in both my trucks and my moms car in the last year and none of the bearing came with any grease

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
imported post

i just put in new Honda rear wheel bearings in my 750 and i didn't have to add any grease. They are only sealed on one side and had plenty of grease. I wasn't expecting that.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Why wouldn't you just go to a bearing supply house to get new bearings?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
Why wouldn't you just go to a bearing supply house to get new bearings?
Because All Balls puts the two bearings in the same package?:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

With some friend's experiences, my name for All Balls is All Junk.

I haven't had a premature bearing failure from them myself, but I have first-hand knowledge of friends that have.

Won't touch em.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
imported post

If i remember correctly. When i checked on parts houses here and i don't really understand this. HONDA was cheaper than NAPA or Tri-State Bearing and i problably checked Autozone too. I even told them they were higher than Honda.
Seems a lot of parts here are that way. Strange, so often i can get OEM from an internet discount place as cheap or cheaper than aftermarket places here.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
imported post

If i remember correctly. When i checked on parts houses here and i don't really understand this. HONDA was cheaper than NAPA or Tri-State Bearing and i problably checked Autozone too. I even told them they were higher than Honda.
Seems a lot of parts here are that way. Strange, so often i can get OEM from an internet discount place as cheap or cheaper than aftermarket places here.
Some seals are that way too.

·
Pwhoever
3,165 Posts
imported post

This topic is very interesting. I thought that All Balls are supposed to be great as the steering head bearing replacement to fix head shakes especialy on the GL1800. Is this correct? But they don't do such a good job with the wheel bearings? I have noticed since installing these bearings that I now have some kind of vibration that increases with speed. I have tried while driving, pulling in the clutch but it didn't seem to change. I also shut off the engine and the vibration remained. It doesn't cause any kind of shake or diveability issue, just an increasing slight vibration that can be felt. Would dry/lack of greased wheel bearings cause something like this?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.