Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Don't really have allergies to speak of but last couple times out my eyes ached and watered up and nose started running. Wife always takes a sudafed before goes to avoid headaches. Anybody else have these problems and which over the counter meds are the right ones?

Thanks, Guys

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

Yep. I have to take oct allergy meds in the spring, and coming up soon. Claritin I think. Also take a seperate eye allergy eye drop that just became otc a couple years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Your getting old.

If you feet smell and you nose runs, you're built upside down.

I grew up on a dairy farm with hay dust, straw dust, mold dust, dusty dust and every kind of allergen and spore you could imagine.

Never had a problem until I was 50.

Now have issues like you describe.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

I had ragweed allergies. Mid August to the first frost around the end of September. I tried to avoid meds because of the drowsies but sneezing into a full face had its downsides. I grew out of the allergy a number of years ago.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

I used to use Claritin or the Walgreen's generic version of it.

Problem with Claritin is after about 2 months, your system gets used to it and it don't work anymore.

My doctor switched me over to a nasal spray to be used PRN (as needed) but no more than twice a day ever. I usually use it once a day if I feel my sinuses getting stuffy.

It is much better at least for me.

Azelastine HCL is the generic name and what I use.

it is a topical steriod and the best way to use it is to spray on the upper nasal lining and very quickly pinch your nose to prevent any of it from leaking out. Also you need to keep your head leaning forward to prevent it from leaving the nasal passages.

If it goes down your throat, it is useless and it tastes something awful too.

I get by with using it once every other day.
I have asthma also as a contributing issue, this stuff keeps that under control also.

Have Ventolin and CombiVent also but rarely ever need them. The Azelastine does the trick normally.

The thing about Ventolin and other stuff like that is, they are a better preventive agent than they are an after the fact "get better" medication. IF there is going to be heavy exercise or high heat involved, I take a puff of Ventolin and that precludes me having an asthma attack.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Its all you city folk not used to the real fresh air like us country folk

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

ummmm, grew up throwing hale bales up on the wagon britman.

Milked a Jersey cow for 13 years straight, pitched corn to the chickens, dumped mash to the hogs, hoed weeds betwix the rows of corn, peas, beans, potatoes, boysenberries, blackberries, strawberries, 10 lonnnng rows of grape vines, every kind of fruit tree that would grow in central Oklahoma.

I think it is just life, the alternative is not wanted right now. achoo! :action:

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

britman wrote:
Its all you city folk not used to the real fresh air like us country folk
Happens to me once in a while, not often enough to pin down what it might be I am allergic to and I am as country as they get.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Were ya riding to work? I know I have a work allergy :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Make sure your helmet isn't growing anything foosty. They stay warm and damp for long periods of time, and can get a little gnarly. I've also heard of folks having unwanted guests roosting in a helmet that was left hanging upside down, and getting fleas. I think a squirrel was the guilty party - but any furry critter could trigger allergies (my nemesis is cats)

180mg of fexofenadine (generic Allegra) does the trick for my snotty face.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

I have discovered that it happens to me any time I get behind one of those E85 cars. I used to just back off the throttle, but discovered that once it hits me I tear up pretty fast and it doesn't quit until I get back to fresh air. Now, if I feel it starting, I just goose the rig and pass the offending car and it immediately quits.

I mentioned the problem once to another rider, a Wisconsin State Patrol motorcyclist. At the time I had no idea what caused it. I pulled over when it happened and he stopped to see if I needed aid. He suggested it may be the cars and suggested I check the next time it happened. The next time it hit me, I was indeed behind an E85 van. I passed it, and the sensation went away. I then slowed down and let him pass me, and immediately started to tear up again.

edit: It doesn't happen every time, but I've learned that what they call E85 in reality can be anything from 70% to 88% ethanol and frequently is out of those specs. An April 2010 study in Wisconsin showed 67% of the tests had less than the minimum 70% and another 3% exceeded 88%. I only mention this because I believe the ones that bother me are the lucky few who are getting higher percentages.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

I once had a major reaction while riding past fields that were being irrigated. I found outthat they often inject pesticides or herbicides into the line.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

carry a bottle of max strenght liquid bennadryl pinch your nose and chug repeat if needed

ride go faster if eyes water it will help the tears run off faster

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Zyrtec or Walgreens generic version of Zyrtec. Take it daily.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

OldSchool_IsCool wrote:
Were ya riding to work? I know I have a work allergy :cheesygrin:
I think I have that same problem. I get tired and have a runny nose every time I walk in the door.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.