Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok guys I'm a new member as of today! I bought a Gold wing about 3 months ago and have been riding it for a few weeks. the Head light was NOT good at all so I bought a new one. all was good! then today I was riding on the Parkway in the North Carolina Mountains ,the guy I was with motioned for me to stop , he said that the light was not working . So I thought maybe it came unplugged but it dident. no high beams no nothing! I made it home and put it to bed. but I need help. I'll check when I have time this week. I was wanting to ride more this week but that might not be happening. I did check all fuses that I know of, checked the plug on the light, its a 55/60 watt zenon ,same wattage as the older H4 that was in it. even the High beam light doesent work on the dash. :X
You guys have a great forum that I have been reading for a few months. :cool:I'll I'll get a picture up when I can....thanks for any help! the more I ride it the more I love it! Oh BTW its a 82 GL 1100, 40,000 miles Wine berry color ( Guess)

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

Carvin,

Welcome to the forum!! Get an ohm meter and start working your way backward from the light plug in. Do you have power there? If you do the bulb just blew. If you don't then. Check all the connections. You can check for power at each of these connections. Also check for ground.
Good luck.
Later Rumple

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks for the reply, I do have ohm meter and will check. it was getting late yesterday when I got back home.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

One of the functions of the starter switch on the right handlebar is to turn off the headlight while the starter button is pressed. Check there too.

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam is spot on about the starter button being a possible problem.
Usually it's due to dirt, dust, water getting inside the button/switch. You can open up the switch (phillips screws on the bottom) and spray some mild cleaner inside; push the button several times as you spray and then use a can of compressed air (like you use on your computer) to blow it out. If you have access to a compressor it'll do the same job. The plastic inside the switch is very thin and can melt if you use too strong a cleaner... like contact cleaner. The cleaner you can get for your computer will work but don't let it sit very long just for safety sake.
Some people don't like WD40 but I use it to clean connections like this and then blow it out with compressed air afterwards. I've had excellent success with it.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Couple things, you need to use a *voltmeter* for testing and the cleaner needs to be 'electronics cleaner' available at most parts stores.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

I have the same thing it turned out to be the hi/low switch now I'm waiting on a left control I just bought off ebay.

Start with the light socket the blue wire and the white wire go to your high beam switch. Then there is a blue and white wire that goes to the start switch. Then there is a Black and red wire that goes to the fuse.
Make sure all connections are good and you have a good ground.
Good luck and you will have to pull the fairing to get to the plugs

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for all the help. I started at the light and worked back....WELL it was the fuse! NOT blown but wasent connected inside, would not pass voltage,it looked good.I put another 10 amp fuse in and it works , but it is getting warm and I figured my 2 hour ride one way, it must have gotten hot. any suggestions?
Oh BTW kah92340 I like the bike...LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.