Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK I dont want to beat a dead hourse first is LED lights goldwing 1200 has two in front 1157 at 21 watt each and on my aspencade there was three in the trunk and then there is two in side bags which I dont count as I left stock in to make signal blink and then there is to lights next to headlight small still 21 watt each so buy changing to led I saved major power so buy switching those bulbs at 189 watts total to led it was only 45 watts total.total estimated savings is 144 watts. Well from what im reading there is or was talk about poorboy kits and then I went online and found another company that makes a kit (also sells trigger locks) and it has alt and timming cover included.So my question is which kit is better??I like the one with the timming cover included.I keep hearing 1200s are 20 years old and I should upgrade to newer bike.here is the problem I dont like em I have rode both 1500 and 1800 and yes they ride ok but im in Love with that vintage styling and I love the chrome not plastic.My stator is good for now but I want to be ready when it goes as I will keep bike till the frame rots lol.Im not ragging on the 1500 or the 1800 just doesnt have that look I like so please dont take that commet wrong.I wanna be able to use heated gear and maybe a gps but its hard to get lost on bike anyway and if you doits just another route.so if anyone has had experence with these kits both let me know please.MY bike is 85 aspy and I just wanna make sure she is as dependable as can be .Thanks Eric:waving:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

lco155 wrote:
...and then I went online and found another company that makes a kit

...got a link?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I think he is talking about the Dupli-Tech .. there are some posts in the archives as well.. Personally, I'd use the Poorboy method (because it is well hidden) or just back tooriginal style with a good aftermarket replacement...

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

lco, Can't help with the comparison unless we know what we are comparing. Do you have links to what you are referring?

I look at the amp draw like this....

The Stator is going to put out what it puts out..... Period. No less, no more based on usage.

The regulator is going to draw all the stator gives it, which is in the neighborhood of 360 watts. It will disperse what is needed to run the bike and charge the battery and shed the rest through ground..... So LEDS are ok, but for me what came on the bike doesn't add or subtract from anything. Other than what Mother Honda put on the bike, I have added extra LED show lights, MP3 player, GPS and a charger for my phone and or Camera batteries, and I also run 55 Watt fog lights at night and have no issues.

However..... Yes, if the stator ever goes, like you, I would go to the poor boy conversion

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Sorry guys it is Dupli-Tech it comes with alt and timing cover.Just wanted to see if anyone had one and differences :(

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,206 Posts
imported post

I like the look of a well done poor boy conversion,
ie, you can't see it.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
imported post

I can personally attest to the ease of installation, functionality and cosmetic appeal of the Poorboy conversion. Unlike the other conversion kits, you can't see the alternator on the Poorboy. I've had people that couldn't find the alternator even after I showed them where it was!

I bought an '85 GL1200 Interstate with a known stator issue from a guy for $1000.00. The bike ran great, had a new custom paint job and new tires. Unfortunate for the PO (and fortunate for me), the PO did not know about the Poorboy conversion kit.

It took me about 2 hours to install the kit and it's been running/charging great since March, 10.

I highly recommend the Poorboy kit.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

For the little extra, I would go with the Poor boy conversion. It would seem that having the backside of that alternator exposed to the conditions and the road dirt and rain from the front tire would make it not last very long.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

OMG that was easy poor boy it is yup the other one looks like crap and I like alt hidden what alt is everyone using?Also I love this site there is a wealth of knowlege here.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Put this number 1-1230-01ND in this site http://www.waiglobal.com/partsearch.html

or this, same alternator made in Mexico
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Alternator---50-Amps-Worldwide_5848628-P_11_R|GRPALTSAMS_539232063____BBV#

I have bought a couple from auto wreckers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.