Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a1988 1500GW, I have replaced the altenator and battery, and my alt light will start flashing off and on at times. I have checked the charging and it is good. When I turn on all the extra lights and turn signalthe alt light will flicker. Any idea what to do next??

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

It must be an aftermarket light, the 1500 never came with one from Honda. If it's one of those aftermarket items, check for a good connection where it connects to the alternator output wire (unless the person fitting it just spliced into a handy wire somewhere else).

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

If the light is flashingintermittently, that indicates a loose connection. Trace the wires back into the harness, from either the light or the alternator, locate the splice and either repair or replace it. One other way out possibility is that one of the stator brushes is bouncing on the ring. That will cause intermittent contact with the armature which would also cause the light to flicker...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd expecta loose connection in the harness or a chattering brush in the alternator shouldcause all the lights to flicker.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

PapaBear wrote:
I have a1988 1500GW, I have replaced the altenator and battery, and my alt light will start flashing off and on at times. I have checked the charging and it is good. When I turn on all the extra lights and turn signalthe alt light will flicker. Any idea what to do next??
PapaBear, if it is still doing the same thing even after an alternator change I would think it isn't the alternator malfunctioning.

If it (your problem) was caused by loose wires or loose connectors you would think it would happen even if all the lights weren't in operation.

Those 1500's have a rather low charging system output compaired to an automobile so there is a good chance you are just over-drawing on your alternator at all-lighs-on
& lower engine RPM's. If it (your problem)happens only at engine idle or low engine RPM I would suspectyou have more electrical load than alternator output.

It seems that a lot of people are installing after-market high output alternators on those 1500 Wings & they wouldn't do that if not needed.

I know that when I use my heated grips & electric vest my battery discharges at low speeds & on my other bikes with an alternator lightthe lightflickers off & on at low speeds.

You might want to check the charging voltage when the problem occurs & if the voltage is also low suspect too much electrical load for your present alternator.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Don't mean to crash the thread, just offering a hats off to Twisty, for the well deserved awarding of the GURU title... :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey PapaBear :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing forum on the net. :clapper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey twisty :waving: Congrats on your promotion to "Guru" :clapper:It's very well deserved. :jumper:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Yes, well done twisty. I hadn't noticed until Redwing mentioned it, he doesn't miss a thing.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
Yes, well done twisty. I hadn't noticed until Redwing mentioned it, he doesn't miss a thing.
Hey FitAl :waving: I think i will apply for the job of moderator, :stumped: Ah no that would leave poor old wexman unemployed. :crying:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Well done Twisty... you know what you're talking about... :clapper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:clapper:Ditto to Twisty!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Heated grips....electric vest??? Darn Twisty, you've got it all figured out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.