Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am going to check the bike as soon as I can but thought I would ask about it anyway. Started on a nice ride today and noted 14+ volts as normal on the aftermarket voltmeter. Later on a contry road I noted 12.0 v. Pulled over and check the battery with my hand held volter meter and am sure I noted a -11.65 volts and double checked which leads I had connected to which post.
With the bike running I pulled the rubber boot off the 10mm nut on the altenator and checked to ground with the meter and still had a -11.65v. Put the covers on and road home and made it till I read 6.5 volts and lost the motor. Pushed home the last 1.5 miles down hill.

Pulled the cables off the battery and noted + voltage but low. Pulled the altenator and inspected the brushes. They looked great with lots of wear left. Now on to other tests. Before I do, any thoughts?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi have you checked the power into the ault you will need a good battery for this and if so your regulator is fried

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

how many wires going to your alt? If you have one marked "F" on your alt, make sure that you have power there when key is on & bike not running.

Im not sure what your running so It is hard to trouble shoot.

Your internal reg might be toast or it could be as simple as no feed power to your field windings.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I have not looked further since getting home, but the most think the regualtor as you indicated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Here is a follow up on the alternator. I did take the unit to a local rebuild shop who had seen this type of alternator. The shop's first diagnosis after some quick tests for shorts was a failed regualtor. Parts were ordered and the unit reassembled. On the test bench, the unit failed again and a periodic short to the rotor was discovered. A think the technician said he installed a spare stator and now the unit works. The this alternator must have been rebuilt before I bought the bike since the brushes looked new and the bearing was in great shape. I wonder if the scenario where I thought I saw -11.65 at the battery and at the alternator while running with an ohm meter makes sense.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Did you try Rudy's suggested test procedure, or just take it off?

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Mike. I had tested right at the alt. while on the road and right at the alt. That is where I had seen the - voltage. But all looks great now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.