Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:clapper:Hi all ,

Have any of you fitted what is called a "torque master" its basicly two pipes in place of the collector box supposed to increase the torque by about 5 .The only thing is the sound is louder as the collector box itself does quiet the exhaust quite a lot hence the overhaul quiet running of the wings(bike by the way is 1500 aspencade 97 ) what I`m worried about is at high speed will it be drumming around my ears making traveling unpleasant on long hauls.

Thanks to all

All the best:waving:peter

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey goldpeter99, Yes, and the neighbours will be giving out. :crying:Merry xmas. :santahat:

:santawaving: :18red: :santawaving:

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

I helped a guy to make a collector box for an Interstate 1500 once. We got a length of light gaugestainless steel pipe (it was free), cut it to the correct length, cut a slot each end and fitted it. Two auto style clamps over the slots secured it.
Not the proper way I know, but 6 years later its still there and sounds the same as with the old collector box. Off the line performance seems the sam, not sure about top end as the owner never takes it over 80mph anyway.

I still have some of the pipe, I'll measure the inner diameter later.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

:cool: If he has had it this long then the noise level must be OK I am looking to fit oval outlets as on some cars when I `ve sorted it out i will post set up here for you to see I`ve been experimenting with different outlets so get a nice sound at the moment It sounds like a v6 with a mellowgrunt hoping top end wont be too noisy.

cheers :waving:peter

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

I know someone who did this before. Piece of pipe connected up to the exhausts in place of the rotted collector box. Sounded just fine and he didn't report any difference in top speed or take-off.
Full credit to Honda, if the price of a collector box wasn't so high, people wouldn't be encouraged to use their heads and come up with great solutions like this!

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Grouchomax wrote:
I helped a guy to make a collector box for an Interstate 1500 once. We got a length of light gaugestainless steel pipe (it was free), cut it to the correct length, cut a slot each end and fitted it. Two auto style clamps over the slots secured it.
Not the proper way I know, but 6 years later its still there and sounds the same as with the old collector box. Off the line performance seems the sam, not sure about top end as the owner never takes it over 80mph anyway.

I still have some of the pipe, I'll measure the inner diameter later.
That's good thinking Groucho. Nice to know that your method worked.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Great solution to the expensive Honda box. I wouldn't have thought that would work, but obviously it does.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Hey Max, was that Interstate a red 92 model? If so, I seen it last week in Edenderry. I could see the car clamps just slightly below the muffler line as it stoon on the sidestand and looking closer it had a single pipe. Stainless at a guess (lots of muck but no rust). Didn't get to see the owner but it lokls like the pipe is still holding out. Great idea.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

That's the bike Jason, I doubt if there would be two red 92 Interstates with a single stainless pipe in place of the collector. I believe a chap from Kilcock owns it now.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I've seen home-made collector boxes made from a pipe with a bigger one welded in between, but Max's idea is a lot less work and will probably last longer because it's a single pipe with no welded bits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.