Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wheel I have an ole 81 1100 with out riggers in back (trip trike) conversion but hard steering. If I leave the 19" rim in front and exchange the rear from 17" to 16", would it possibly make steering easier?? Buying a 5 degree rake tree for it is just to much money? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
No.

To reduce steering effort you need to reduce trail.

What you propose may at first look like it does what a kit does, but a kit does not alter steering stem angle where as a shorter rear tire will lower the rear, it also increases steering stem angle keeping the trail unreduced.

If you could draw a line through the steering stem dead center to the ground and mark that spot, then mark the spot dead center where the front tire contacts the road, the distance between them is trail with the steering stem intersect point ahead of the tire contact point. The "rake kits" reduce that distance by adding angle to the fork legs without altering the steering stem, they move the front tire forward & reduce trail. Look at the drawing, you'll see why the manufacturers usually include extensions for fork tubes.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,086 Posts
I'm not a trike guy so take this as you wish. On a motorcycle the rake does not affect the centering of the steering as much as trail. The trail is the distance from a line projected through the steering stem to where it hits the road surface and the contact patch of front tire. This can also be thought of as castor. The longer this dimension is the more self centering the steering is. A motorcycle has 4-6 inches of trail and a trike is around 1-2 inches. Tire diameters will affect this, but I don't think it will correct your situation.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Wheel I have an ole 81 1100 with out riggers in back (trip trike) conversion but hard steering. If I leave the 19" rim in front and exchange the rear from 17" to 16", would it possibly make steering easier?? Buying a 5 degree rake tree for it is just to much money? Thanks
It would seem to me you would be going the wrong way. If you put a shorter front tire or a taller rear tire should help.To decrease rake , which also decreases trail, you can install a smaller diameter tire, or slide the fork tubes up in their clamps to give them a steeper angle in theory..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts