Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Are there any other rims that will fit the GL1500?

For instance say the Valkyrie or GL1800 or ?

If there is a possibility, for a direct fit or are they some mods needed?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

I am not trying to sound dense or ignorant... but my primary question is "why?"

Why would you want to use other rims?

I'm sincerely curious...

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

There are aftermarket wheels available Rottie, usually chromed. GL1800 wheels won't fit your GL1500.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Why do I want different rims on my motorcycle?:stumped: Why do people put on something different on their cars/motorcycles and not leave them factory stock?

To answer the questionbeing an engineer, I am always asking what if????? And being a engineer, a single source/pn for an application is a big no/no.

I want/need options.:lash::badgrin::whip::X

Just to have something a little different and distinguishing.:cheesygrin:Only mild and subtle

I have been following the powder coat (cast coat) thread. They are pretty good looking results.

I also have been following the darkside very, very closely and doing lots of research and compiled a very large list (over 100)of possible alternates and possibilities. I will contact the moderators of this board to see if I can upload this list for all to see. It will NOT be recommendations for what to choose but what are the possibilities and all of the data I can collect about tire size, ratings and specifications. You still have to make the choice based on your own requirements.

Not all tires CTare suitable. I am also getting to understand the differences between MC and CT from a engineering and specifications point of view. I am also setting up some expectations of what CT can and cannot do and using them in a non standard setup. Seperating the wheat from the chaf.:waiting:

I will be getting a spare set of rims with mountedtires (whatever tires they maybe)for when my E3 tires wear out. These E3s have served me very well with grip, but the are noisey after breakin as have been stated many times by many different people (my truck tires don't sing as bad as these tires do). At the rate I have been riding latelythe last four months, these current tires will need to be changed ~ january or feburary of 2012.

Then it would be a quick change over to the new tires.:smiler:

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

I would definitely like to see your research on the tires....

As far as using other bike's rims, one of the biggest differences between the GL-1500's and GL-1800's are the rear setup. The GL-1800 uses a single sided swing arm and the wheel mounts completely different. It would take a major mod to get that done. I am interested in seeing what you come up with....

:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

OK, one more time on trying to link this file.

This is some possibilities of tires for the GL1500 16" rim.

Enjoy....

For those of your that want the source excel file, PM me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Just downloaded your tire list. Wow what an extensive and exhaustive list. Very nice list. I assume that most on this list are passenger car tires while those in red being motorcycle tires. Is that correct? Also, does CT stand for Car Tires while MC for Motorcycle? Please clarify.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Yes, it is a SMALL list. heheheh >120 total possibilities.

CT=car tire

MC=motorcycle tire

Red = motocycle specific tires

Most are car tires, but some are LT light truck tires. This can be easily distnguishe by the load index e.g. 100/104

LT tire generally are in the >100 load index especiall when you see dual numbers.

I also noted some of the tires/tyres are overseas/offshore only and not available in the USA as this is an international forum so all could use the information.

the price is what I saw at the web and are subject to change.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

From what I can see, the Valkyrie front wheel (and fork) assembly is different than on the GL1500, but how about a Valkyrie rear rim - does it fit on a GL1500? I wish they'd put a wider wheel up front on the Goldwing - just looks too skinny for me.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Well, after some more research...

the GW frontrim is setup for 130/70-18 and the rear is set up for a 160/80-16 as we all know.

the valkyrie frontrim is setup for 150/80-17 and the rear is set up for a 180/70-16

From my point of view, the smaller rim on the front is not desireable an the back rim might be a possibility for a wider tire, but the swing arm also comes into play.

I would have to get the two rims next to each other form all of the various measurments to compare the two.

I would have to check the drive flange, all of the mechanical dimensions, etc.

Right now this is only a mental exercise on changing the rims.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

If you compare the actual front sizes HERE, you will see that the overall Valk front tire dimensions are larger than the GL1500 dimensions. And if it could be modded and installed, the speedo would read slower than you are actually going. Now the rear Valk dimensions end up being only slightly smaller than the GL1500. However, the width of the tire would be 7.09" which might be too wide as the Austone which is 6.89" just barely fits.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I've often wondered what CT will fit on the FRONT of a 1500SE. I need a "square" profile tire for the trike. Seems logical to me that a flat profile,ie.CT, would put more rubber on the road on a trike, giving me better grip and wear. I wear out the center 2.5" of the MC tires, and the rest goes to waste! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Jimjinx:

I would seriously consider the CT on the front of trikes if I had a trike.:?

There is essentially no lean and having a squared off CT would give better traction for steering, plus the 40k+ mile tire having nowhere the same loads as a car would last a very long time.

The only issue would be finding a CT narrow enough to fit on the 18" GW rim.

After some very quick looking, all I see is 215/55R18 for a minimum 6" wide rim. I think the GW front rim is 3.5-4" wide so, it is not looking very good.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
I've often wondered what CT will fit on the FRONT of a 1500SE.
Any that I've seen with car tires on the front had different forks, and steering yolks that were wide enough to accept a car tire.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I've been doing a whack of sidecar related research over the last year or so. For some strange reason, despite the strict regulations and challenges getting aftermarket parts approved in Europe, they've had companies doing some pretty neat things over there. The market for wheel conversions to accept car tires is very limited. Like said above, it usually involves an entirely new fork assembly (like leading link) and costs rather a lot of money. I've found plenty of pics of euro GL1500 sidecar rigs with car tires up front... all of them fitted to pretty robust looking leading link assemblies, so it's do-able if you don't mind spending the bucks. For my money, I'm going with Steerite modded triple trees from Side Effects in Kamloops - as a matter of fact, they're sending 'em out to me today. Should be interesting to see how hanging a sidecar on the 1500 affects tire wear up front. Gonna use a car tire in the back & we'll see how it goes. I'll probably start a thread documenting the sidecar install... in spring when I thaw out :^)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.