Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
mmonsterbuck
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i'm a dumb ass, forgot charger was on bike and started it, volt meter goes down when i put the probes on bat. so i put volt meter probes on alt does the same thing, did i fry the alt?:(

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

I don't understand what you are trying to say. What exactly is the volt meter showing?

·
mmonsterbuck
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

dave, i started the bike and battery charger was still hook up to the battery, so i put the volt meter on the battery and it only said 9 volts and it was slowly going down as the bike was running

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

Ok, I see now. Yes it does seem it's not charging but I have started a lot of engines with a charger connected and it has never yet damaged an alternator. Check the main fuse to the alternator.

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

There are 2 main fuses forward of the battery. I think the 50 amp is the alternator fuse.Hold on a little while, I'm going to do some studying.

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

Yes, it's 55 amp, not 50. If OK check the small wire,black/light green on the alternator. If it has battery voltage while not running and key on the alternator is likely bad.

·
mmonsterbuck
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

dave started bike, ran fine, motor slowed down, put meter on bat., and it was chargeing again. brushes must be bad, changed them awhile back. maybe there stiken or need to be replaced. last time i changed them they were to the holes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.