Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Got 13k on these E3's, running them at 42-43 psi.
Front is slightly cupped, rear is slightly cupped and lots of tire noise now.
This "howling" is a bit annoying.
What are some recommendations for replacements, similar/better than E3's without the noise after 'x' miles?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

How about fixing your underlying suspension issues that are promoting the scalloped tires?

Fixing the root cause is better than battling symptoms in just about anything.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
How about fixing your underlying suspension issues that are promoting the scalloped tires?

Fixing the root cause is better than battling symptoms in just about anything.
What suspension issues have you noted that causes the cupping ? After 6500 miles, I too am noticing a slight cupping in my new E3 front tire, but only on the left edge... I simply attributed that to the crown of the road, but perhaps there is something I should be looking into and correcting???

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

Since brand new GWs were cupping tires it's not any "root cause problem" with the suspension. Some say replace the bearings, some say tighten the bearings, some say add a brace, go with dyanbeads, don't use dynabeads, run more air in the tires, run more air in the forks, etc, etc, etc. Some make help some. But it's just the nature of tires. Even on your car you rotate them so they wear evenly. There's no root cause problem, just tires. It's noticed more on MC tires because you can't rotate them. If you didn't rotate car tires you get the uneven wear too.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

I will be tring the Conti motions next.

13k is all I get out of E3's

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

If you think stock, "out the door" suspension is perfect, think again. It has much room to be tuned and enhanced.

I had the forks on my GL-1200 redone by RaceTech for my weight, and the rears will be done in 2012.

Front tire cupping - GONE.

Most of cupping seems to have to do with rebound, from what I can tell.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,155 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
Most of cupping seems to have to do with rebound, from what I can tell.
I agree with that Rusty...

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

nightwizard40 wrote:
I use the Bridgestone on my 1500.
Are you using the Exedra G701 & G702? That's what I was planning on trying next when I wear out my last pair of Michelins. How many miles do you have on them?

John

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

i went back to the stock tires for the 1500, dunlop k177 fornt and rear.

so far so good after 7000+ miles

still quiet.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
imported post

Dutchman wrote:
Got 13k on these E3's, running them at 42-43 psi.
Front is slightly cupped, rear is slightly cupped and lots of tire noise now.
This "howling" is a bit annoying.
What are some recommendations for replacements, similar/better than E3's without the noise after 'x' miles?

Thanks
Motorcycle Suspension Service by Traxxion DynamicsTake a look at this and watch there vid !

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
If you think stock, "out the door" suspension is perfect, think again. It has much room to be tuned and enhanced.

Read again. I never said it was perfect now did I. Everything made by man can be tweaked, somethings more successfully than others. I was pointing out that some people claim a lot of different "solutions" which a person could try, spend the money, and expend a lot of timeand they might or might not "fix" anything. The "root cause problem" can't be fixed if the "solutions" don't work all the time and they don't.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Interesting video....

I've done what I can as far as front suspension.....installed progressive springs and completely rebuild the forks.

Thanks for the responses..

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
imported post

Dutchman wrote:
Interesting video....

I've done what I can as far as front suspension.....installed progressive springs and completely rebuild the forks.

Thanks for the responses..
First I did there spring up grade 1; they found that the fork tubes were slightly bent ( New YorkRoads potholes ) New springs ,seals ,bushings ( wow what a difference ) . Tires did not cup as bad ! There was more room for improvement, however thereAK 20 cartridge , Well let me tell you, mind you its onlymy opinion but the Ak 20 up grade was the best thing Idid to my suspension .8 k miles on front tires and no cupping at all ! Best money I've spent on up grades so far .

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
imported post

If you want to quiet down your E3's just do a couple hours of parking lot practice or hit the twisties a few times.

Mine rarely make noise, I live in the mountains but...on my 2500+ mile trip a couple weeks ago I spent a fair amount of time on the super slab. My tires started howling by the time I was back east, after a hundred miles in the mountains the howl left and I was back to normal.

Those tires had about 19k miles on them. I just changed them last week with new E3's after over 19.5k miles. To me that's hard to beat. Other tires may wear and handle good but I'm very pleased with Dunlops. I have buddies that run stones and claim they are also good, IDK.

As far as the wear on the left, I'd chalk that up to the crown in the road, provided you don't have some major suspension problem.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
imported post

Some good thoughts are beginning to be shared... To further that, and to be of specific assistance, I would like to see this discussion move in the direction of the measureable specifics about spring and shock rates, tire pressures, fork angles, or any other measureable suspension data that can be passed along that has been helpful in correcting tire wear issues.

Then I suppose it should be moved to the technical discussions area...:thumbsup:...;)

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

personally i like the dunlop k177 (2.5 front &2 rear)far more than the e3 (1 pair). i have done better milage with the k177 & they have more sipping so it should get better wet traction (i can't tell you much about wet traction because even though i ride in rain i baby it when it's wet so i haven't had traction issues with any tire even the slickies when i wear them down to nothing). i had a michelin pilot gt (1 front) & it wore out faster than either of the dunlops & avon venom x (1 pair). i won't tuch the avons again, i had issues with them, the front rim had a small dent & the avon had a rim leak at the dent even though i had put on the e3 & pilot gt after the dent happened dirring the 2nd k177 & when i talked to the shop about it they said they have had issues rim sealing issues with avons in the past due to the mold releasing agent they use. the rear avon was getting (dry rot?) cracks in it at about half tread depth & less than a year of service & they both wore out faster than either of the dunlops.

now i have a federal formoza ct on the rear (my opinion is still out on it) but more sipping so i think better traction & when i wear out the k177 on the front i'll try the bridgestone battleaxe 45 that a lot of the darksiders like.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
nightwizard40 wrote:
I use the Bridgestone on my 1500.
Are you using the Exedra G701 & G702? That's what I was planning on trying next when I wear out my last pair of Michelins. How many miles do you have on them?

John
I put those on in June and have 6000 miles on them. Love the tires. Quiet, great in the rain and still look like new.

I don't buy the suspension tweaking either. Not saying you shouldn't have tight bearings, proper fork air, etc. I've seen my share of Dunlops on various wings, 1500's and 1800's and cupping seems to be common, after they wear down.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
Jluvs2dive wrote:

John
I put those on in June and have 6000 miles on them. Love the tires. Quiet, great in the rain and still look like new.
Thanks Mike! That's what I was hoping to hear. I've been very sad ever since they discontinued the Michelin's and I'm on my last set of them. I know Bridgestone has some dual compound bike tires with softer edges for cornering grip and a harder center for long wear, but wasn't sure whether the Exedra's were dual compound, but they sound like it from your experience with them. :waving:

John

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

The tires may be too noisy, but part of the problem is that the bike is too quiet. You never hear Harley guys complaining about noisy tires.

Turn up the radio!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.