Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay, I've got the '83 purring like a kitten, new saddle, cut down the windshield and am starting to look towards the finish. I'll need to do some work on the plastics and paint them and the chrome is essentially shot across the board. I was able to work out the pits and the mess so it looks okay but am thinking of options besides re-chroming.

On my last rebuild, an '85 650 Nighthawk, I painted all of the aluminum/chrome trim flat black and the tank and plastics semi-gloss black and it looked awesome! I've painted headers that were too far gone as well with good results. Has anyone done similar with a 'wing? Maybe powder or color coated the bag frames, shocks, engine guards, etc? I'd be interested in seeing pictures.

J-

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

yes they have done the same as your nighthawk..seen more 1000 like that though.. here is one

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

powder coat talk to lopeha he has a powder coated kit for sale if i remember correctly it covers valve cover timing covers air intakes and a few otherparts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Have seen some beautiful powder coating lately but its expensive . Painting over is always an inexpensive way to go , i especially like the " bakelight " look of the textured surfacing and think you cant go wrong there.
I also understand that copper plating is about half the cost of chrome and it looks friggen fantastic !

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

yes powder coating is expensive but ya know gettin used chrome parts off ebay in better shape than whatcha got aint a bad idea either

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

I just changed my powdercoated stuff back to gloss black so have a set of valve covers, timing belt covers, intake runners, radiator grill & air wings in black chrome, although to me it looks like a dark pewter. I wil post a pic or two of them when I get home later this week. I. They are for sale if you're interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.