Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1997 GL1500 FrankenWing,1994 GL1500 Aspencade,1999 Ultraclassic,1998 Softtail Special
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday DAX left me stranded for the very first time..... was riding and all of a sudden she went 'dark'. took about a minute and then I got dash lights but only a small clicking sound when trying to restart. Had my GooLoo in the bag so I got her started and went on my way.. 3 miles up the road it happens again and this time the jump start lasted for about 2 minutes before dying. Long story short...AGM battery only had 11.75 volts.
Took 2 days to charge up and check/recheck battery to make sure it is holding voltage. This morning it is at 12.77 volts after sitting overnight. Hooked it up to the bike and she starts just like normal, but voltage when running is at 12.07 volts.

Is this a BAD alternator or a BAD voltage regulator or both? Since I am a newbie.... does the Alternator have the regulator INTERNAL like most modern autos or is it external?

I just happen to have a spare GL1500 I can scavenge parts from if needed.... but really want to not do that if I can avoid it.

Thanks All...

·
Registered
1997 GL1500 FrankenWing,1994 GL1500 Aspencade,1999 Ultraclassic,1998 Softtail Special
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
While looking around I notice new rubber dampeners for sale on eb-y... IF I have to replace the alternator should I also replace the dampeners?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Pull the alternator and check the brushes and slip rings. Could just need a good cleaning. Check the rubbers, replace if crunchy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE: Found an OEM alternator for $120 shipped..... thought it was a screamin deal.. also pulled the old one by watching a YT video where he did it the hard way... I didn't. While I am at it, plugs, new front tire and a genuine shifter shaft stabilizer kit... then riding season here I come...

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
The Orem is easy to get out but replacing it with sure fire is tough,it’s bigger and barley enough room to get it back in

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Get new rubber bushings

1 - 7 of 7 Posts