Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok brethern, heres a question regarding a conversation I had,couple wks. ago with a former GW owner while at a biker event.

Anyhow,he said he had once owned a ,think it was a 89 or 92 & how it was a great ride,but, sometimes the alternator brush springs will corrode,causing the brushes to loose tension on the armature & cause it to stop charging:(& fail w/o warning!

He said it was easy enough to chg,by replacing the brushes using stainless steel springs as replacements.

Now,,is this a project I should put on my "to do" list this winter?? or can it wait till later.I have a 1990 Aspy w/ 23 thou.on it :bow:

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
imported post

Have never seen corroded springs but I have seen numerous instances where graphite worn off from the brushes has built up in the brush housing causing the brush to stick and thereby not charge properly... Don't think I would bother with the SS springs if available...

Les

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

The alt. is positioned out of the way of rain etc.
An early model alt. is a good one and worth a rebuild.
See the tech. sechion re; this step by step .
Did my 88 for $150.00

·
Premium Member
61,466 Posts
imported post

First I check and see what the voiltage output is.. 13.85 14.8 around these number are good..

If it's low 12.5 than I'd pick up a set of brushes.. $7.45 a set with new springs at the honda shop..

Easy to install be sure and use air to blowout the insides good................

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Perhaps the comuntator is grimey between the armeture grooves.(carbon dust) Sounds like heat is annealing the springs. Dirty and partially bridged grooves arc = heat. Just a thought. :?jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks group for all the advice,this site takes the anxieties out of maintaining & preservation of our beloved GW's :applause:

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

When my alt first went out, I was assuming it wasn never rebuilt or was done many years before I did it. The back side of the brushes and basically in the interior components were relativley clean....and these brushes were REALLY worn down. I bought a set from Cyclemax (I don't think the where I bought it was important as much as my assumption they were aftermarket) A year later the thing stopped charging again. I tore it apart again and it was filled with carbon dust holding the springs back. I heard other bad issues about the Hitachis so I bought one off Ken hemmings. The point is, are the aftermarket springs were buying for re-builds softer and more prone to quicker wear and this powder build-up? It would seem so from what I experienced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.