Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just finished my alternator conversion and after one tank of gas I am showing a change of6 Miles per Gallon. Before conversion I was getting 44 mpg and this tank of gas dropped it to 38 mpg.

I know a few more gas tanks will give a better indication of mileage but I am curious to knowof anyone else who has done the conversion has also found a drop in mileage.

Six miles a gallon change is significant.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I think I actually improved a bit. That's wierd about yours. How tight do you have the belt?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Seems like it might drop a bit since the new alternator has a higher output therefore needs more hp to turn it, you also have an additional belt drive that's using up a bit of power. Don't forget that you also still have the original rotor spinning so when you acellerate you have to spin up the new alternator and the old one too. I wouldn't have though the drop in mileage would be more than 1-2mpg though.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

The absorbed hp is only in direct proportion to the output required. The orig. stator (joke) setup put out full all the time, whether you need it or not. So in the case of ext alt, and a lot of load, ie, more lights, it could cut mileage down. But in orig. electrial load, it should actually increase.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I would have guessed 1-2 mpg at most too Exavid. I am going to sync the carbs as soon as I get the gages. (On order from JC Whitney) I haven't done it since I got the bike so that may be some of the cause. I did pull one of the plugs the other day and it was black but that may also be from running with the choke on during warm up.

I will post back again after I get the carbs done and post the new mileage figures then.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Belt is pretty snug but nice and quiet.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

airbeat wrote:
Just finished my alternator conversion and after one tank of gas I am showing a change of6 Miles per Gallon. Before conversion I was getting 44 mpg and this tank of gas dropped it to 38 mpg.

I know a few more gas tanks will give a better indication of mileage but I am curious to knowof anyone else who has done the conversion has also found a drop in mileage.

Six miles a gallon change is significant.
airbeat, 6 miles per gallon difference is in the (there's something else happening range)..

First, make sure you got a good reading (one tank isn't enough to tell anything).

Then, make sure you didn't fill with a high alcohol gasoline.

If all above OK, then suspect a mis-adjusted enrichener cable or linkage (you were working close to that with the alternator install).

Also, make sure you didn't pinch a vacuum linegoing tothe idle air cut-off system or get something in the idle air cut-off intake passage.

I've used those little alternators on other projects & never had a big gain or loss in the mileage or gal/per hour usage.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Good suggestions Twisty.. I'll check them out. And yes I agree that one tank is not enough.

The extra grinding I had to do was to clear the choke. I will double check that to make sure it is closing all the way. Although the problem was in getting it to come on not off.

The bike was getting a little harder to start though before the conversion was done. What I mean by "harder" is that it would instantly start once I hit the starter and go to a good idle while now it may take a few turns of the starter before it lights off.

A good thorough check andtune up should resolve it though.

What the heck I'm only putting in 60 hrs a week at work. What else do I have to do with my free time...:)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Did my alt conversion last year, and mileage has not suffered in the least. Used to get around 40MPG crusing at 55mph (around 3k RPM)

Only things I noticed is the battery stays charged longer , and it turns over all thetime, short or long ride makes no difference, and my lights do not dim when I am at a stop light or stop sign. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.