Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm sort of trolling the site although I've been a "member" for several years now. I'm looking for answers to a charging problem on a 1985 GL1200 that has the Dupli-Tech (or similar) alternator conversion already installed. What I'm trying to locate is a wiring schematic of how the new wiring is SUPPOSED to be run. This is NOT my bike. I'm just working on it. The current install has a light that I suppose is supposed to illuminate when the system is operating but it is staying on even when the switch is in the off position and the battery is draining rather quickly. Any assistance would be appreciated

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sounds like the alternator (same as a car) has a shorted out internal part. Alternators are supposed to light up a "dash" light when key is turned on and when the alternator is turning over makes it go off.

·
Premium Member
6,128 Posts
Hey all. I'm sort of trolling the site although I've been a "member" for several years now. I'm looking for answers to a charging problem on a 1985 GL1200 that has the Dupli-Tech (or similar) alternator conversion already installed. What I'm trying to locate is a wiring schematic of how the new wiring is SUPPOSED to be run. This is NOT my bike. I'm just working on it. The current install has a light that I suppose is supposed to illuminate when the system is operating but it is staying on even when the switch is in the off position and the battery is draining rather quickly. Any assistance would be appreciated
Is it new? Has it ever worked as it should? What is battery voltage with the engine running at 3000 RPM or so? Also id the battery voltage climbing or dropping? Need more input. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it new? Has it ever worked as it should? What is battery voltage with the engine running at 3000 RPM or so? Also id the battery voltage climbing or dropping? Need more input. :)
It is NOT new but the owner doesn't know when it was installed since he bought it used. The alternator is putting out 13.4-13.7 at 2500 RPM but If I leave the wiring connected as found the battery goes dead rather quickly 4-6 hours. I'm suspecting a bad diode but without being sure it's wired correctly in the first place I'm not real sure where I'm standing. Thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
  • At the alternator is a big wire and a small wire if you disconnect the small wire it should still charge but you will need to rev the motor to get it to kick in or start. Let me know if it does

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
  • At the alternator is a big wire and a small wire if you disconnect the small wire it should still charge but you will need to rev the motor to get it to kick in or start. Let me know if it does
Can
Can you tell me where these two wires go? I assume the big wire goes directly to the battery... what about the small wire? Does this go to this light?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are two smaller red wires and one larger red wire. Larger red wire goes directly to the positive post on the battery and two smaller red wires each is going to the light. Seems like only one should go to the light unless one is a ground, both are red. All three wires are red.

·
Administrator
25,350 Posts
There are two smaller red wires and one larger red wire. Larger red wire goes directly to the positive post on the battery and two smaller red wires each is going to the light. Seems like only one should go to the light unless one is a ground, both are red. All three wires are red.
1 of the small wires does go to the light, the other comes off a switched ignition source. From here it's hard to tell which is which.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 of the small wires does go to the light, the other comes off a switched ignition source. From here it's hard to tell which is which.
You mean you can't tell how much change I have in my pocket? (laughing) The two small wires go to a plug on the front of the alternator and the larger one comes off another terminal labeled Battery. There are three connections in the plug, two side by side with another unused turned 90 degrees to these two. There is seperation between all three connections. Sort of like a smiley face =I.

·
Premium Member
6,128 Posts
Is it possible it is all wired correct with one exception? Might the wire that goes to the ignition be wired in a way it is hot all the time rather than hot only with the key on? Unplug and check for power on the plug with the key off. That would be wrong...

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you just unplug the two small wires and see if it will charge when reving it will prove one thing.

The way it works is the ignition switch when turned on(important bit that) should supply power to the light, the other side of the light connects to the alternator so that when you turn on a small amount of power goes through the light to the field of the alternator making it start to charge at low revs, when it gets over battery voltage there is +ve on the small wire which makes both sides of the bulb the same so the light goes out. There is all sorts of electronic trickery in the alternator to make this all work properly and it can go wrong.
Without the light you are relying on the residual magnetism in the rotor(field) to raise the stator voltage enough to feed more into the field to get a point where it charges(why you have to rev it to get it to kick in)

Hope i havent confused you excessively

·
Administrator
25,350 Posts
I have been looking for a diagram of an alternator like that but no luck so far, everything but. I did find a cute
explanation of ohms law.
volt ohm amp.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the reply. The alternator is charging I just need to figure out which of the two small wires goes where. I think I found some information last night that will help me figure out which of the small wires goes where. Thanks again. Perry

·
Premium Member
6,128 Posts
Pretty sure that is a Denso alternator. They use them for race cars and tractor type conversions, It is also used on Toyota Corona and Corolla .
10571 Alternator 12v 35a IR/IF Denso style

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Wired it up like this and it works like a champ. Thanks again. Perry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts