Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, I InstalledDon's Alternator kit on my 1200 Aspy. Everything works great except at idle which is about 975 rpm the charging drops andwhen just above idle it starts to charge at 1025 rpm . I guess i need to change the ratio for the pulley on the crankshaft to make the alternator spin fasterbut to what size and where to find it that will fit the adapter on the crank any will be very much appreciated :)

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i cant speak for anyone else who has done the conversion, but it sounds the same as mine, have you got just the one cable connectedto the batteryor have you wired it with the warning light

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

shoot.. my solution would be to bump the idle to 1050 and be done with it...:waving:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi *******, Ihave 2 wires one on the battery side of the alternator and the other one comes from the ACC side of the fuse block and it goes to the IG on the back side with a digital meter iread the voltage and was wondering if i double thespeed on the alternator that maintaina 12.5 volts or higher

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

ive had mine in about a year and never had a problem,at 1025rpm i get 14.2 volts, at idle 1000rpm i get13.2v,you could do as sandiegabrass suggests and take the idle up, i also wired an ignition light, have you checked your dvm with another volt meter to see if they are the same, the volt dvm i have on mine reads different to the one i use for testing

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

*******, Do i need to put a wire on the other conection on the back of the alternator would that help energize it or is that just for a light

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

this is how mine is wired, assuming you are using the gm alternater, i have gone to the aux terminal, i cant say whether the way you have it wired is any good, maybe one of the guru's could tell you better, did your stator pack in altgether, mine was working fine before i changed over and just disconnected the stator at the rectifier

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

By adding a light would that create a loop in the system i only have the one wire on IG side maybe the built in regulater is kicking out at idle and when i give it some throttle i ingages again

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i have the two wires conected to the aux terminal, with the warning light on the one,as the rough drawing shows, just like you car ignition light, when you turn the ign on the light comes on, when you start it it goes out, some of the members who have done the conversionhave opted out of the warning lightand had the alternater rigged for the one wire (the main wire to the battery)

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

heres my warning light, and dvm, the little red light on the dvm come on at 12.5v

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.