Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alternator conversion

832 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Conley 
#1 ·
imported post

Hi Guys, back several months ago I installed the poorboy conversion, with all my lights on the wing I have a voltage discharge at Idle at these long traffic lights, for what i figure i have a one to one ratio, Ineed to increase the speed of the alternator. I have a pulley that is 4 1/2 inches for the crankshaft and the alternatoris about 2inches. I was told I could not do this because i would over run the alternator is there any truth to this. i figure it would work for cages why not bikes.I need some Info from the GREATEST SITE IN THE WORLD :baffled:

#2 ·
imported post

The alternator you have is good for 15000 rpm so you would be quite within alternator spec even if you redline the engine.

I had a 4.5 pulley on for a while this year, but it sounded like a turbo :) yes lots of charge at idle even with driving lights and brake lights etc etc.

I dropped back to the 1-1 ratio, I used 1-1 ratio for the past three years, ran down to Calhoun with it really never had a problem..... how long do you sit and idle?

Don (Poorboy) has some 3.5 pulleys which he is putting in his kits (I have heard) belt size is somewhat of a problem so far.... it's on the drawing board so to speak

#5 ·
imported post

15,000 miles on my Poorboy Conversion without any discharging problems. At idle the lights dim a bit but the charge stays good even with extra lights and high beam running full time during my commute (45 minutes at night.) I am not worried about the pulley size.

#6 ·
imported post

I just got one of the new 3.5" pulleys with the kit. I have 200miles on the conversion so far. Not a problem. I also put a volt meter on the bike that is always on. When I start the bike, I have 12.4 - 12.5 V at start up.

I have to hit 2k RPM for any noticeable charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.