Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was in a club meeting last night, one of the goldwing members said that the 1500 had a problem with altenator going out at 42K miles or so.

He said he replaced it and went bad a year later , He also said the the after market unit is better.

I am at 42 K miles and wonder if anyone has had or heard of this type problem, Is it best to replace before a breakdown????

Thanks

Steve

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi Steve that is untrue the milage makes no differance its the load thats on it that makes it fail you could have it over hauled just for your peace of mind it would be a lot cheaper than a replacement
I have one with 80,000 miles on it and its as good as new

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Ditto agnogel , rebuilt mine @ 160000 miles for piece of mind.
Brushes were worn 50% so replaced them.
Read that the rear bearing can get tight so replaced that too.
No probs. after rebuild.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you for that.
Steve

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Is it a big job to replace brushes and bearings. I do have the shop manual and many tools, also 50 years building houses

Steve

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

I am at 85,000 miles plus on mine, works perfectly...

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Just replaced mine tonight. I'm around 55k, but I look at it as it's 16 years old. I put on one of those 95 amp ones from Rare Electric. For some reason, now the bike won't start and the nuetral light doesn't come on. I figured I knocked something off installing the thing. Grrr!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hope you get the bugs worked out

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,653 Posts
imported post

63,000 and still working fine.

Just gonna play it by ear.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
imported post

I have just got my two Alternators back after the second one packed in on me on the 27th of July.

I sent them off to be checked over and after a week they told me that both the rotors were open circuits.
I gave them the go ahead to rewind the two rotors.
I did not want to buy a new one as I felt I would just end up with one Alternator & two broken ones.
I somehow feel I have lost my faith in my bike now & dont trust going out on it so I now have one on the bike and one in the pannier as a spare. It takes me only 20 minutes to change them over if one packs in again.I also have two volt meters running at all times on my bike so i can keep an eye on things.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

That is not a secure feeling.
You say it takes 20 minutes to change out. I will check the shop manual and see. perhaps I should get a back up.

Any tips and short cuts on the change out?
Thanks for the input.
Steve

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks, I will go to harbor freight today. Love that place
Steve

·
Premium Member
6,615 Posts
imported post

There have been two types of common failures. Brushes wear out, or dust
fills the holder and they stick. The rotor gets a broken wire at the clip connection at the start of the winding.The broken winding is common to the later model 1500's.The earlier were more reliable and last much longer. I am not sure where the change was made. Maybe someone will chime in and know what year the change came. There does seem to be more of the late models that fail just after the 50 to 60,000 mark, but it can depend on how lucky you are. It is an easy fix if you carry a spare. Some have gone back to the old style alternator for the dependability. They usually run until bearing or brush failure which is a very long time.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thank you,
What older style? where would I get one?

Mine is a 1998 so probably need a back up.
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I like the alternators from 1989. I use one in my `98 S.E. now that has been in 2 of my 1500s, and was used when I bought it on eBay. Just guessing it has way over 100,000 miles on it. You do need to open them up for inspection from time to time.

Looks like there is a `89, and a `90 Gold Wing alternator on eBay now that should make someone a reliable unit. I would open them up for inspection before use though.

Tom Bishop

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.