Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got suspicious of my alternator and pulled it out today, just thought I'd take a look at it since it'srun for96,000 miles. There was good news and bad news. Good news was that I took a look at it before I set out on next week's lengthy trip. Bad news was that the bearings were pretty well gone. The rear one was noisy and getting pretty loose and the front one was a little noisy anda bit wobbly. Unfortunately I couldn't get the bearings and seals in time to take off Friday so I ordered a new OEM alternator. Wasn't cheap but cost less than the Compufire by a couple hundred dollars and I don't need the extra amps. I'll rebuild this one when I get back and have a spare to put on the shelf or eBay it.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

The rebuild isn't that bad...just getting the wires for the new brushes through the brush holder is a pain, I soldered them to a single strand of wire and pulled them through, let us hear your method when you do it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Tonys96 wrote:
The rebuild isn't that bad...just getting the wires for the new brushes through the brush holder is a pain, I soldered them to a single strand of wire and pulled them through, let us hear your method when you do it.
The only real pain with the old alternator was pulling the rear bearing, I ended up grinding the outer race, splitting it and prying off the balls and then grinding flats on the inner race so I could grip it in vise jaws and twist it off the shaft with the aid of a little WD40. The rear bearing was so close to the slip rings I couldn't get a puller jaw between them. The rear bearing was pretty well on it's way out, the front one was a little loose and just a little noisy. I've got some brushes on hand that will fit the holders and they have long enough pigtails that I can tin the ends and feed them into the holders okay. The slip rings on the armature will need to be turned which I will do with a jig on my drill press. It's the delay getting the front bearing and seal which forced me to order a new alternator.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

I had tried tinning the brush wires, but I couldn't get them through the holder, it was just to awkward a position to work in, inside the holder.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I got to the " prying off the balls" part and had to stop reading!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Sometimes I just get too close to the workbench!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

johnmac wrote:
I got to the " prying off the balls" part and had to stop reading!
See, I was so intent on learning what you did I completely missed the humor.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

:whip:Evil Children!:whip:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

You want to be careful Exavid at your age, grinding your ball races and prying out your balls, can be a painful experience mate!!

Pete

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
You want to be careful Exavid at your age, grinding your ball races and prying out your balls, can be a painful experience mate!!
Pete
Not if you dip them in water to keep them from getting too hot on the grinder.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

Working on these bikes can be a ball. One of my favorite sayings is "Have a ball; have two - they're small."

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Maybe for you...:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

Speaking of, there's a web site selling realistic looking sets to hang under your bike. I asked Rodent if I could get some for Eeyore (they're color matched!) and she shot me a glance that missed me and hit the dog, knocking him off the sofa. Then she rolled her eyes at me so I had to pick them up and roll them back. Remember, it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's a whole new game called "Let's look for the eye."

Ruaidh

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I've seen them on a pickup recently. You could do the same thing with a couple golf balls (or baseballs for a more macho appearence) in a chamois. As for the eyeballs make sure you wipe them off after rolling them around the floor, nothing worse than grit in the back of your eye socket.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

Even worse if you put them back in the wrong socket...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Ruaidh wrote:
That would be great if you go visit Ireland or the UK, make it easy to drive on the wrong side. Oh... I assumed you meant the eyeballs... the other would be a shocking thing to do.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Ruaidh wrote:
That would be great if you go visit Ireland or the UK, make it easy to drive on the wrong side. Oh... I assumed you meant the eyeballs... the other would be a shocking thing to do.
Is this the answer to why we drive on the other side of the road I ask, our balls are in wrong?:baffled:

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
exavid wrote:
Ruaidh wrote:
Is this the answer to why we drive on the other side of the road I ask, our balls are in wrong?:baffled:

Pete
Not sure I even WANT to get fixed just to ride on the "other side". Of the road, that is...

Ruaidh

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.