Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey guys thanks for the info, im leaning more and more towards the external charging system. do these come in kits or does a guy have to manufactor all the stuff,, thanks again

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

hammer, you can order Don's kit or you can make it yourself from his plans if you have the ability and tools. Either way, Don will help you out with the parts or info you may need. Send him an email [email protected] and let him know you're interested.

I have been using a car type alternator on my 84 Aspencade for almost 4 years now and would recommend it to anyone with a Wing. If you do the install really neat and tidy it will look like it came from the factory with the car alternator and if it ever quits you can pop it off and rebuild it in 20 minutes for pocket change.

Several guys on this site are using this external charging system and will gladly help you out if needed.

Good luck.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

I've only ever read good reports about that kit. Din't recallever reading or harding of problems with it. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Go for it Hammer. I just finished mine from Don. Although he supplies the kit which saves you hours of time, you will still need to do some shimming and trimming to get everything to fit just right. If you use the Metro Alternator you will have to trim some off the case to clear the choke as I did. Don's instructions are very good.

I wound up using a 29.5 inch belt on mine but yours may be a bit different so I recommend getting a couple of different sizes to try and take back the ones that don't fit. (save a few trips to the auto parts store)

Good Luck,

Harry

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Here's a question for you guys who have installed the alt. conversion. Do any of you have problems with water getting in around the drive pulley while riding in the rain? Or is their a seal that gets installed behind it? Just curious because it looks like a great idea and I know someday I will be faced with the same decision. Thanks

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

On my conversion I made a large flat plastic disc that fits behind the pulley, This disc deflects most of the water. If you were to examine the timing belt covers closely you'll see that it's not completely waterproof as it needs some means of ventilation otherwise it would accumulate moisture in the timing belt housing. I haven't had any timing beltproblems at all when driving my Wing in the pouring rain, but, I suppose that if you were to cut the hole too large in the timing cover you could end up with problems.

Vic

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Just be careful when your cutting the hole for the pulley. Mine is very tight tolerance and covered by the pulley itself. Any moisture that could possibly get by all that would be minimal and then cleared by the heat of the engine itself after shut down.

I have not heard anyone remark about any water problems. Now spark plugs and water problems I've heard plenty of..:)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Did my 87 Aspencade conversion(Using Don's kit :clapper:)over 8K and 1 yr ago. Have not had a problem at all. Not sure about any moisture in the timing belt covers, but have hadno reason to pull them off and look either, but the fitbetween new pulley and coverwasreally no bigger than some ofthe other gaps I noticed.

You may have to do some trimming to get Don's kit to fit your particular model. I also went with one size smaller belt than Don recommended, as I had some squealing and could not tighten the alt /belt any more. I'd heartly recommend the change over, especially for the consistent output for all the extra lights and stuff!:waving:

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

just wondering if you could possible give me some more detail on the cutting and shimming . what did you cut the hole in the timing cover with, thanks for any help, hammer

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Just a side note to those who might be wondering...
This kit from poorboy will NOT work on a 1980 GL1100 as per his email to me. He is going to look into it though shortly as he just got an 1100 to work on.
Bummer! Just thinking about lights and accesories....

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

can anyone give me some more details on the alternator the conversion calls for? everybody is asking me if its a canadian or japan model? canadian is the 55 amp . the japan model is 50 amp , i assume the canadian is the one i need? just wanted to kind of clarify before i got one,, thanks , mike h

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Kinda makes a guy wonder how long that old stator was acting up, seems like since i have bought that bike it has always run a little rough. started very slow from time to time, after i put this new alternatoron it is amazing how much better the bike runs, starts . any chance someone would have a good choice of touch up paint. website? thanks,, Mike H

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.