Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:?Well I need help, I thought I had it figured out. OK, I made all the brackets and machined a shaft and mounted the alternator. Everything worked perfect alinement's perfect. So all I have to do is wire it (%^$#@%]%^$#@%). Can't figure it out, I know how the alternator wires, wire on back to battery, wire #2 to light to switch, and wire #1 to hot side of switch. Now I look for the wires on the wing to cut and which one to wire to, NOW I'M LOST. Guess I'm getting to old my mind just can't seem to get it. Your help could save a life so PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!:gunhead:

Wing2:(

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts
imported post

What kind of alternator are you using? Sounds like an older GM style, if so cut the black wire to the original voltage regulator and attach it to #1 and from the same wire either install a light in series to #2 or use a heavy duty diode in place of the light (arrow toward the alternator) if you have a volt meter.
Actually if it is a GM alternator you don't have to switch the wire to #1, it can also be direct to the battery. It is the feedback to tell the regulator the battery voltage. Some people even connect it to the main alt. post but that will reduce the charging voltage.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yes it is a GM alternator, the black wire is it going to the regulator/rectifier. Do I disconnect the whole thing and the three yellow wires for the stator too.:baffled: I wasn't joking I'm lost on the GL side, on it's a '80 GL1100. Motor is in great shape, just can't keep the electrical side up to par. After putting four starter relays on at $50+ each time, I put an oldFord relay on it works great no more trouble with that $15 fix. Please just a little more help, am I on the right track??

:bowing:

Wing 2:11black:

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

Pics woud be great

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts
imported post

Just disconnect the connector on the regulator should be good enough. Use the black wire in that plug (harness side).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.