Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Had to do mine (97 aspy) last year. I took mine to a local alternator/starter repair shop for new brushes and whatever else goes in it.

Anyway,,,, as for removel,,,,, it's not too bad if your use to turning wrenches. It will seem like you can't get it out. But just unbolt, pull back and kind of roll it out.

I'm not the best at explaining on here. But I'm sure someone else will be along to add whatever I left out.

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
If you are handy, I would get itact with this guy: http://mysite.verizon.net/resp3jbj/ At the bottom of the page is his contact info. He offers a rebuild guide that he wrote. I highly recommend him and he has helped out a lot of goldwing riders.
I bought one of his high output models - been very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Just had the one on my 98 SE rebuilt locally (same price but quicker turnaround than ordering from elsewhere). It is held in by 3 bolts and all are easy to reach. Actual removal is very tight. Once loose, it has to be moved to the rear far enough to dis-engage the blades and rubber bumpers from the motor. I had two side-by-side hoses back there about 1/2 inch in diameter that had to be re-routed to give me the clearance - it is so close that 1/2 inch is the difference between success and failure. Once you have it back far enough, it kind of rolls out (front first).

When re-installing, be sure mark on the engine housing where the slots are on the rubber bumpers and position the blades on the alternator accordingly. Oil the O-ring and slide it in the motor using the marks you just made. When mine got to the O-ring, it got harder to push in so I put all 3 bolts in and tightened them equally to pull it on in. If you try this cheat, make sure the O-ring is already started; otherwise you may damage it.

Removal and re-install is easy to do if you can use basic hand tools.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.