Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

ok.. hope I can explain so this makes sense.

I just bought a 88 wing.1500...here what is happening...when delivered battery was up...started fine...went for short ride next morning, 12 miles away, bike just stopped running...called nephew , he came with jumper cables....hooked them, hit started fired right up, removed cables, bike died.....hooked jumpers again, left hooked about 5 minutes, the amp gage was reading about 11.... started it, removed cables, ran like a top...well for about 3 miles...needle was showing about 11...the 10, went below 10 and died...had to do all the same thing to get bike home. Charged with trickle charger overnight.. went for ride, 14 miles exactly, needle dropped to 10 then below 10 and bike stopped running. Again the jumper thing every 5 miles to get it back home. The guy I got it from said battery was only 2 months old.

Now my question I guess is. once started, doesn't bile run off alternator, if so then why is it dying, and if battery is drained after few minutes from a full charge, is that to fast for battery to drain. Any suggestions. I am going to charge overnight, take battery to have a load test done tomorrow, but what do you think about the amp gage showing only 11... bare in mind when jumpers was hooked it, it read around 13.50 .. remove jumpers and back to 11... is bike alternator not putting out enough.. I am dumb as a rock about electrial...Hell I am a brain surgen not a mechnic

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me like your alternator is not charging at all. 13 -14 miles sounds about right before a good battery goes down when the alternator is not working...

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

pull the alternator off and have it check by a local shop. could be worn brushes or the regulator. they should be able to rebuild it for you if thats the problem. how are all your connections. take cables off clean the well and try checking again. could be both the battery and alt are the problems. especialy if it hasn't run for a while or maintained. good luck

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Goldwing since your bike is a 1984 goldwing your problem may lie in the stator & if its that then my friend that means engine removel if not check the agv coupler witch is the plastic plug between the stator & the bike or regulator sorry if Im the bearer of bad news but thats the thing with the 84-87 wings !

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Goldwing sorry you dont have a 84 wing my bad take the alternator off & take it to a stater /genrator shop ! they can rebuild it for about $39.95 -42.00

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

Plenty of good used ones on ebay replace the rubber coupling when you get the thing out takes about 25 min tops to remove alt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.