Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Santa brought some saddlebag lights and a scala rider4 so I must have been good this year:smiler:

My question is how many lights can my stock alternator handle? bike has 30k miles.

Add on lighting consist of driving lights, side fairing lights, replaced rear reflector with light, set of saddlebag lights 6 per side. I ride with the driving lights on at all times so all these add ons and the stereo plus stock lights run at once, also have cornering lights.

I know I would have been better to get led's but who am I to argue with ol St. Nick

Am I asking for trouble with a stock alternator? Appreciate any advice you may offer.

·
751 Posts
imported post

Other then your driving Lights ???? You should have no problems ! It really depends on what driving lights you are running meaning what wattage are they I have PIAA cross country H.I.D. Driving lights with these you should have no problem anyway but since you probably have standard driving lights If you have a compufire alt like I have then You can add as many lights as you want As I used to have all the lights that the po added for his enjoyment He never gave anythought asto what problems could later ,so I took all the lights off & no more relay problems !

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

St Nick probably wouldn't mind if you just replaced bulbs with LED's. Hardware still good.

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

hummer, Im gonna be saving my pennies for a compufire but hoping to get by til then, I like tlbranth's idea with the led's..allot cheaper than a compufire. thanks for your input guys

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
imported post

My wife has a 99 1500 trike same lights as yours. 75,000 miles now and never a problem. I had a 96 alt quit at 34,000. Also had a 90 that I rode 80,000 and still had original alt in place. Ride til it quits then do something different.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

You can freshen the stock alt with new brushes and a cleaning and might want to replace the bearings while in there as they tend to go, might get you by. Put on a volt meter and keep an eye on it especially in traffic, if you get below 13 volts turn off the driving lights as you will be discharging your battery and shorting its life.

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

ghost, I would love to get 80k from a stock alternator but hope to have a new one before then, just crossing my fingers to get a few more thousand miles tho

newday, it just so happens I marked the page for Rudy's smartlight today, I like the idea of a warning light and looks like a simple install

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

tlbranth wrote:
St Nick probably wouldn't mind if you just replaced bulbs with LED's. Hardware still good.
It gets expensive buying quality LEDs to replaceall your running/brake/signal lights.

I'd be looking to swap out your 55W H3 driving bulbs with a set of PIAA's 35W = 70W H3's, available here for just $29.99

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.