Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

At what point accessory-wise is it recommended to go with a CompuFire alternator?

I'm running a ring of fire on the front, all reflectors replaced with lights, a single line of "skirt" like lights under the saddle bags, license plateframe light, mud flap lightand 100 watt fog lights in addition to the OEM cornering lights.

I'm not seeing any dimming of these lights on my 1998 SE with 33K miles.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

100 watt fogs would be the killer here. You won't see a problem on the open roads, but slow moving in city traffic will see the battery go flat with all these lights on. I've seen it plenty of times in parades, the 1500s with the lights drain the battery and the bikes just stop.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

It Is when the fans kick in that causes all the problems ,,People fit lots of lights and find no problem under normal driving ,,but when you hit slow moving traffic or in a parade ,the bike engine heats up and the electric fans kick in and then the battery just goes flat ,I would suggest go for the compufire set up now ..dont wait until the bike stops and you are left sitting on the road with lots of lights and a bike that wont go ..:waving:.cheers Ciaran

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Get yourself a voltmeter also, and then you wont have to guess anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Why all the lights?????

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Scared of the dark.:tongue:

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

LOL. :goofygrin:

Two things I cant get enough of on the Wing: lights and....storage!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

wingfriend wrote:
LOL. :goofygrin:

Two things I cant get enough of on the Wing: lights and....storage!
Well, I sure hope I don't have to share the road with you at night with your 100-watt fog lights!

The more one owns (or carries), the more one is a slave to those possessions.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Up there you might need a "Wiper" on that windshield?!!!

Someone here put one on and posted a pic of it !:baffled:

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I've said it before and I'll say it many times again, I'm sure: You guys are great.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Well said... There is no other freedom like a motorcycle!

I really love this forum. A good, sincerebunch of people who are always willing to lend a hand.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Hello Brian. I've recently fited the Compufire alternator and batter kit to my 1500. I couldn't stretch to a new 1800 this year so the wife bought the kit as my birthday present.
The bottom line is that if you fit this kit you will never have to worry about what accessories and lights are on while you are siting at traffic lights. The Compufire gives out a much higher charge at idle than the stock alternator. It's not cheap, but the money is better spent on this than on some shiny bits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.