Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of extra alternators for my 2000 GL1500 and am planning on building a setup where I can, after hooking up to a 12 volt battery, get them turning at various RPMs. My question is, while viewing the alternator from the front (motor side), does it turn clockwise or counterclockwise? Also, since it has no pulley, has anyone come up with a temporary but sturdy hookup to attach the alternator to the power source, i.e. electric drill, 110 volt motor, etc.? My main objective is to check the voltage output at various RPMs before I install them, as well as to see if they need an overhaul before use. Any advise is definitely appreciated, 'cause at age 72, I really don't know everything there is to know, like I thought I did at age 16!!!

·
Premium Member
6,131 Posts
My local alternator shop just used a belt to test mine. It stayed on well enough to do the test but it made a pretty funny noise when they spun it with the belt. Alternators can be tested in either direction. Makes no difference. Bad thing is a drill will not turn anywhere near fast enough to give you any meaningful data. You have to spin the alternator over 2,000 RPM for it to be efficient at all. Just take them to an alternator shop for testing. Tell them to flop aa belt on the coupler and enjoy the sounds. :)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
The OEM GL1500 alternator generates 550 Watts of output at 5,000 alternator RPM's.

Watts divided by volts = Amps.

At 2,778 Bike RPM's the alternator is turning 5,000 RPM's.

I have a document that lists amperage output at various engine RPM's.

I did calculate the ratio of engine to alternator RPM's...........!

This guy knows how to do it.........!!!

http://myplace.frontier.com/~hemi-roid/

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
The OEM GL1500 alternator generates 550 Watts of output at 5,000 alternator RPM's.

Watts divided by volts = Amps.

At 2,778 Bike RPM's the alternator is turning 5,000 RPM's.

I have a document that lists amperage output at various engine RPM's.

I did calculate the ratio of engine to alternator RPM's...........!

This guy knows how to do it.........!!!

http://myplace.frontier.com/~hemi-roid/
Yes he does and is darn good at it.

But for me, I just mount the alternator in the bike and test it. A bit more work but it is in the environment it was designed for. Since I do not have the necessary tools to load the alternator, I can't think of a better way for a test of its current generating ability than to put it under actual load.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellows, for the advise and info, I'll check it out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts