Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out a good way to test a GL1500 alternator that's off the bike? I have two that have bit the dust, so I plan to blow them out with compressed air and then rebuild if necessary. Given the lack of a pulley, as on auto alternators, I'm wondering what folks use to get them turning so as to check the output. Any suggestions??????????

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John!!

CW, CCW or does it matter?

·
Administrator
58,755 Posts
Alternators crank out Alternating Current,

it don't matter.

Just a guess, but on a car they turn clockwise as you view them from the front.

dunno about inside the case of the engine, but probably the same.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again John, guess I was having one of those "duh" moments!!!

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Has anyone figured out a good way to test a GL1500 alternator that's off the bike? I have two that have bit the dust, so I plan to blow them out with compressed air and then rebuild if necessary. Given the lack of a pulley, as on auto alternators, I'm wondering what folks use to get them turning so as to check the output. Any suggestions??????????
I took mine to a local shop and they tested it the exact same way they test all the others. They looped the belt around the drive coupler and tested as usual. It was kind of humpy bumpy but it worked fine. They did it for me more than once and had no issues at all.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, Mike!

·
Administrator
58,755 Posts
Thanks John!!

CW, CCW or does it matter?
Looking backward....

you were thinking about the Alternator "outputs DC"...
that is true.

But on the 1500 and 1800 there is an internal Rectifier stack that converts the AC to DC....

So, forward or reverse won't matter, the output of the 'alternator' is AC and the bridge Rectifier changes that to DC which the pole on the back of the alternator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.