Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have and 06 1800. Our chapter, T in Greenville SC, is lucky to not only have a good friend but a long time wing mechanic in our group. I rode the bike by his shop the other day on a totally unrelated subject and he asked if the "whine" had always been that loud.

He started another 1800 parked in his shop and theirs was not nearly as high pictched. We listened to both ends of each alternator with a stethoscope and mine was such a rasping noise it would hurt your ears. The other one was just a loud whir.

He said he had just changed out the bearings in an 1800 with 20 some odd thousand miles that were that way and one bearing was rough to turn. He is going to replace my bearings in a week or so.

He said that his opinion was some very few of the alternators are slightly misaligned during assembly. The dealer I bought the bike from new in 07 said if the bearings went out he would replace them under warranty.

For no more $ than we are talking about on the replacement, I'd rather not be stranded some where. My 06 has 11,000 on it. Sorry this is such a long post, but has anyone had a similar problem.

Ride Safe...Jim

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,149 Posts
imported post

I'm not a 1800 expert Jim.

would you mind dropping by the New Members Forum and introducing yourself there?

Lots of folks wanting to "shake your hand" around here, and there will be a lot of helpful hints on your problem also real quick.

Kudos on filling out your profile already too :action:

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :waving:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I am going to give an honest opinion and do not want you to take it wrong. But some folks seem to worry about nothing. Some of the alternators on the wings do make a bit of noise, but were you aware of this or worried about it before this fellow brought it to your attention? Once some person tells you about something and you begin to worry about it it will not go away .

I honestly do not think you have a problem with rough bearings or a bad alternator at 20,000 miles. Some are just what they are and have a bit of a whine, it is not the alternator itself, it is where the alternator mates with the drive gear.

I do not think it is mis-aligned either, some do just make a bit of noise. The newer bikes seem to be a bit noisier than the older ones also.

To me it is the sound of power, relax and enjoy. :D:D

Again please do not take what I said wrong, I thought about it ten times before I said it , but having had experience with this , I think you would be dis-appointed in the result , even with the installation of a totally new unit. Some just make a bit of a whine.......

Respectfully

Kit

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Kit. you're not saying anything at all out of place...I know exactly what you're saying. Also I know our wing mechanic well enough to know his likes to "correct" things that aren't exactly right. Thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

well, I AM annoyed by the noise. I paid good money for a motorcycle, headset, GLI, etc and I don't expect to have a loud whine in my ear when I wanna talk. it is aggravating. That's all I have to say.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

well, I AM annoyed by the noise. I paid good money for a motorcycle, headset, GLI, etc and I don't expect to have a loud whine in my ear when I wanna talk. it is aggravating. That's all I have to say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.