Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Everyone,

My 93 has what I suspect is an alternator whine. It follows the engine RPM, it isn't static like from the plugs, it is just a whine. If I turn off the radio, cb and intercom, No whine. If I turn any one of them back on, I get the whine.

I have noticed that it has been getting louder the last couple of weeks. I have a Compu-Fire installed and has been in use for several years.

I don't have much load on my system but I am not sure what to do to fix it.

On another board, they suggested either the brushes or an internal capacitor in the compu-fire alternator. If the capacitor is bad, is there a capacitor I can install externally to the alternator to fix the problem?

If it is brushes, where would I get the brushes and the instructions to replace them?

Please, I need your expert help and guidance.:? Thanks for any input you might have.:)

Ed

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

In automotive applications a whine in the radio is an indication of a bad diode in the alternator. Most auto alternators have a replaceable diode pack but not sure about the 93 Wing.

Q

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi ed the comp has an internal supressor that may be gone but you can fit an auto one to the in line or if you have the stock ault the one off that will do

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.