Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have taken my altenator out of my 1995 GL1500 (30000 miles)and cleaned the brushes etc and reinstalled. At idle 750rpm it is charging 12.1 at 2000 rpm the most it will charge is 13.8. Is this normal? My repair manual states 14.5-15 amps. I have a few aftermarket lights installed. Would they stop the altenator from reaching maximum amps?
Thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

check your voltage with all aux lighst off. It is a possibility that you are drawing power therefore giving you a low reading. Also I dont think your wing should be running IDLE below 950.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi west cost and welcome to the forum if its a stock ault that would be normal out put its addvisable to install a voltmeter on the bike as it forwarns of trouble say when sitting in traffic for a long period as when the fans kick in they and other things can leave you with a low battery many a guy has found that out when they went to restart the bike 750rpm is ok for the idle speed and last every thing that uses power will draw down on the ault so 13.8 is ok if your going to run extra lights sockets ect it would be a good idea to invest in a compufire ault have a look on the link

http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/605

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

The output readings of 14.5 -15 you see are based on a fully charged battery.

You'd have to charge the battery properly or run the bike a fair distance on the highway to get it fully charged up to see these readings. Around town & at low idle your 13.8 is more normal.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the replies from everyone. I am just new to Goldwings but like doing my own mechanics. The bike I have bought has all the auxilary lighting come on with the key. I will separate these and put on a separate voltmeter. Also thanks for the welcome to the forum. These forums are an amazing tool!!!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I have an 88 GL1500 where I recently rebuilt the stock alternator. With a fully charged battery, I see anywhere from 14.0v to 14.2v at about 2000 rpms. At idle, near 900 rpm, the system drops to about 13.0v. When I turn on my aftermarket driving lights at 2000 rpm, I see about 13.7v to 13.8v. My lights draw a bit more than other's. My manual states that the output spec. is 13.5v to 14.1v. As far as wiring, I wired in a relay and fuse to operate the lights.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Ray. I will try it for awhile and if need be I will either rebuild or get a compufire.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

As for the Voltmeter. This is a good Idea. i have yet to install one because I havnt found one that I both like and care to afford. the ones i like will leave me without gas money for 2 weeks.
I was riding around today with my radios on. Stereo and satelite reciever on, fan was on and I stalled while riding 2 up. Well wouldnt you know it. The bike wouldnt restart. I as lucky to have been stopped on a slope and rolling forward gave me a good bump start.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

When your battery is fully charged and the bike is shut off what should the volt meter read? Mine reads 12.4
Thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

westcoaster wrote:
I have taken my altenator out of my 1995 GL1500 (30000 miles)and cleaned the brushes etc and reinstalled. At idle 750rpm it is charging 12.1 at 2000 rpm the most it will charge is 13.8. Is this normal? My repair manual states 14.5-15 amps. I have a few aftermarket lights installed. Would they stop the altenator from reaching maximum amps?
Thanks
Dave
Your alternator is doing fine with those figures.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I found a digital meter that was not too big at AutoZone near the battery section. It was ment to plug into a cigarette lighter. I disassebmled it, attached a small amount of wire and wired it to any 12v source that was close by. It lights up and, again, is digital. I attached it near a speaker with velcro. I think it was under $15.00. I am sure there are others. I hope that is one idea that helps.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

This is a nice little unit. Simple. I have 1 green at idle, and 2 green, when running down the road. Easy to see and has a self dimming feature at night.

Click here Volt meter

Attachments

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

12.4 is a little low. If the bike sits over night what is the reading? If it keeps dropping I would suspect the battery. That level of reading tells me battery is operating at about 50 % or so of its capacity.

There is a scale/range that a battery operates in. The actual numbers escape me but do a search on the web & you'll find the information.

How are things out in Qualicum Beach. Been through that area many times by bike/trailer/motorhome etc. Very pretty country.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks Cycleman, Hope you come back to Qualicum soon. My battery is brand new. I guess a new one can be faulty. My battery stays the same or maybe gain 0.1 overnight.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I have a question(now don't forget I'm a newbie)

Are all the alt's the same from 1975 - 1984 or are some stronger. Sorry the the thread jack.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Thought I'd like to share some ideas on attaching a voltmeter onto the bike.

I bought a custom key panel, and fixed up a digital voltmeter. Here's how it turned out.

Hope it can create more creative juices

Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.