Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

And so I'm heading home from work and the radio starts cutting out and the bike starts loosing power and I come to a stop sign and it stops. Battery is dead, no power. Pull the 2 year old battery and check it out. It's fine. Am I looking at getting a new alternator?

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

The alternator is easy to pull. Most Automotive Alternator/Starter shops can test and rebuild these units if needed.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I made it about 30 minutes. In my case, my volt meter got to 5.7 volts before I heard a backfire and then the motor died. From there I rolled home.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

There is a little trick to extend your ride on just a charged battery - pull the fuse for your headlight, this will get you a little farther before draining the battery. I had my dealer share this with me when he came out to rescue me when my alternator quit on my 95 1500SE. Got me home and to the shop the next morning - just a couple of miles each.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

When my alternator quit I immediately noticed the problem on my volt meter. I went approximately 20 more miles before I found a good place to change it out. After the change out the battery was still good enough to start the bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.