Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Well, we made it Cimarron N.M. and went for a ride Saturday. I filled up with Shell with 10% ethanol. :action::action::action::action:

Then Sunday we decided to go to Trinidad, Co. On the way back it missed and died. I pulled over and waited a sec and it cranked up and we continued. Made it to the top of Raton Pass and it did it again. Then we made it to Raton and I visited with another rider and he said it was probably the Altitude. I said I hope that was all. we then continued on our way, ran good for about 10 miles the died and would not start, right in front of the NRA Whittington Center. I called a wrecker. Then after about 30 minutes it cranked right up.:XAnybody have any ideas or knowsomething? Is it Altitude?Another rider stopped and said I should get my injectors adjusted...

UPDATE: Have been out for a couple of hours and 80 miles trying to get it to repeat the problem. It has not.

Itwas running good with no problems.

I think I am still going to put it in the shop and have them check it out.

Thank you all for the help....

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

I don't believe that it is altitude. It sounds as if you have something electrical going bad. Try riding it when it is night or cool and see if it runs longer or continuosly. The ignition trigger units and any other igntion components can get hot and do that. Injectors are not normally adjustable but not sure what that model has injectors or carbs. The earlier models are definately carburetted. I have other solutions but try these things first.

Good luck!:waving:

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

When it's been running for a few (or it dies), pull the gas cap off while listening closely. My gas cap vacuum valve took a dump on me between Parachute and Rifle Colorado. When I switched to reserve, it died. It took me until the next fuel stop (after my husband brought me a gas can) to realize it. The vacuum was great enough to stop fuel flow. I drilled a small hole in the cap and have one on order with Honda Parts Direct (along with a new pump).

The (mechanical) fuel pump started to leak a week later on the return trip. I think the excess pumping forces caused it.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

I'm not going out on a limb to suggest that the problem might be good old fashioned vapor lock, but I do have first hand knowledge of the adverse characteristics of ethanol at higher heat and altitude.

Mostly, I just like to bash the mandatory use of corn-based ethanol in our fuel.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I believe the 1500 is not electronic injection correct? It very well could be the altitude. Driving through Vail, CO many years ago with an older car I had the very same problem. I thought something was wrong but once I got down off the pass everything went smooth. It was simply the air mixture that was too lean for the high altitude (so I was told by a mechanic in a small town up the hill).

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

It is also possible that you got into some bad (dirty, watery)fuel. My experience with altitude issues is that as oxygen content gets lower, the engine tends to run richer while simultaneously losing more & more power, the higher you go...

I doubt that the quitting, missing & cutting out is altitude related...unless it is so bad that your plugs are fouling...like knot said, think electrical...

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I agree, having lived in CO when I was younger. The vehicle whether carbed or FI would just slowly lose power, but not just quit and restart later. Now you can certainly get different jets for high altitude applications but it mostly just helps with emissions.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

FenderHead wrote:
It is also possible that you got into some bad (dirty, watery)fuel. My experience with altitude issues is that as oxygen content gets lower, the engine tends to run richer while simultaneously losing more & more power, the higher you go...

I doubt that the quitting, missing & cutting out is altitude related...unless it is so bad that your plugs are fouling...like knot said, think electrical...
Ah yes, now I remember. My car lost a lot of power and I pulled over at this little garage way back when. Back down the hill everything was good.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,881 Posts
imported post

I recently purchasedmy 1500 from a guy in Colorado. He told me that he consistantly got 45 or more mpg. When I brought it back to Oklahoma, 1000 ft elevation, The mileage went down to 37 to 40 mpg. We thought maybe the reason for the difference was the bikes in Colorado were tuned for the higher elevation. I called the dealer in Colo. where my bike was purchased and asked them. They said no they didn't do any re-jetting or anything else different. So I doubt the problem is altitude related. Since they are all the same no matter the location.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,273 Posts
imported post

Hi Drifter,

I going along with the crowd on this one. I've had bikes show altitude problems, but it has always been that it just wouldn't idle. I never had one stop while in motion. That sounds electronic.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

One thing I have not thought about is the vacuum. I am wondering if it might be that. I do remember when we were waiting for the tow, I did open the gas cap. it was a little while later that it cranked up. I rebuilt the
petcock a month ago. That might be it. It has not seemed to run as well since then
I think I will try some short runs around here to see if I can get it to do it again. But, I still think I will put it in the shop tomorrow and have them check it out.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Did 80 miles back and forth across town from 35 mph to 65.. Running good- no problems....
Now I don't know what to think...

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

I have seen vehicles stop dead on Colorado mountains. Between that and the fuel I'd wonder if you have anything wrong. Just do a lot of testing near home.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Went out to crank it this morning. It Started right up for about 32 minutes. Then died and has not cranked since. I tend to agree with the majority. It must be electrical. To the shop next week. Thank you guys.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,273 Posts
imported post

Trouble shooting GL15 electrical is a time consuming (read expensive) project.

You might want to see if there's anything you can check yourself. Go after your fuel petcock theory too. That made some sense, since you recently worked on it.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Well, It was not electrical....Long story but I had to have a new petcock and a new battery. Overall cost 470.00.
Had it in the shop for two weeks. First week , they told me it was a hose, charged me a 100.00 dollars. Picked it up and drove 20 miles and it died and did the same thing. Then it was the petcock and a new battery (370.00). I thought the price was kind of high. Especially since they charged me to repair it the first time and did not repair it. Oh well, at least it is running now and we did get to go for a nice ride from Cimarron, NM to Durango CO, Silverton, Ouray, Montrose, Lake City, Creede and back to Cimarron. Beautiful......

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,273 Posts
imported post

A $50 battery and a $20 petcock and an hour to change them out, at say $80 per. I think that's more than a little high.

What's the name of that dealer?

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Going labor rates are not in excess of 85.00 per hour, with a mandatory 1 hour in many places. Another reason I do my own work. But many don't and that is what they have to look forward too.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

The pet**** was 165.00 and the Battery was 85.00 so labor was the rest....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.