Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey lads

i recently went onwacky rally with the club and about half way thru the bike died:( . it seems that the fan drains the battery too quickly when you ride in slow moving traffic luckily i was rescued by a fellow member :D(thanks again dermot:clapper::clapper:) but i reckon an altonator with a higher output and battery would sort this but where will i get one and how much should i expect to pay?:shock:any ideas .ERIC

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Eric, from experience I can tell you that it is the headlights that runs down the battery. If you have a switch on your 1500 and the headlight was switched off and the battery was good, then your alternator is not putting out fully. You will have to buy one from over here in the USA if you want one of the high output ones. Expect to pay $499 for the Compufire alternator and the (21watt I think) battery. Shipping to Ireland will be costly because of the weight.
I had the Compufire on my 1500, they are new and not just recons. The output at idle is around 45 watts compared to around 20 watts from the stock alternator. At 4000rpm this rises to 90 watts compared to 40 watts from the stock unit. The idle output is of course the important figure.

Go to www.compufire.com and see for yourself.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

midwing wrote:
hey lads

i recently went onwacky rally with the club and about half way thru the bike died:( . it seems that the fan drains the battery too quickly when you ride in slow moving traffic luckily i was rescued by a fellow member :D(thanks again
It sounds like you might have a problem in the charging circuit, unless you have a lot of added electrical accessories. I've spent way too much time in very slow stop and go traffic in the Seattle-Tacoma area (enjoy Interstate 5, the world's longest parking lot) and not had the battery run down even with the fan cycling on and off. Check your idle voltage at the battery and see if it's above the voltage with the engine off. Is it possible the battery might be a bit tired? Maybe a fan motor going bad?

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi Eric ,,,Go for the compufire set up ,,but you have to get the alt and the battery together as your own battery wont last too long with the higher output alt ,,,You are not alone on this problem ,,ask any of the lads here in Ireland who have gone on night parades with the 1500 and normal alt ,,they have almost all switched to the compufire set up ,,,You can also get them from colin appleyard in the UK ,,,the shipping would be cheaper ,but they will fleece you with the sterling ,,So just order direct from compufire in the states,landed in Ireland it should cost around 700 euro in all ...cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

The Compufire is a quality alernator. You can fit them to the Valkyrie as well, but you need to do a bit of work to make extra space. Having said that, you don't really need a bigger alternator on the Valk unless you have loads of extra lights.

As a matter of interest, the alternators on GL1500s up to 1996 were generally trouble-free. It' sthe 0nes from 1996-2000 that give more trouble, particularly ones beginning with the 015 part number. Must have been a change of maker or a change in the manufactureing process in the later ones that makes this a common problem.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

thanks very much for the advice lads . i think iwill have to talk tomy financial advisor ( you know who ) about the money end of it , after all 700 euro would buy a lot of shoes:action::action:. good luck ERIC

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi Eric ,,well if you dont buy the Compufire set up ,,she will need lots of shoes to walk home in ,,everytime the battery goes dead :D:D:D:DCiaran

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey you ungrateful sods :stumped: Im proposing a collection for midwing so that he can purchase theCompufire Set Up :weightlifter:andhis Boss doesn't have to walk home everytime his :15red:breaksdown.

:walker: :18red: :walker:

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

thanks very much REDWING,. we could have a sponsered parade thru mullingar :D, of course i couldnt go cos of the altonator thing:shock:.ERIC

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

The Compufires are the real deal. There was another make a while back that were just shoddy recons but the Compufires are brand new units. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.