Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My new (Christmas) 05 has only 400 miles on it and the front wheel has corrosion crystals/fungus on them. I guess leaving the bike in the garage for more than a couple of weeks will do this? I'm still taking it easy after my accident and thats why I'm not doing more miles.
I managed to get all the fungus off and the dpper black marks with 1500 grade wet & dry and Mothers and they look better than new. But I just know the fungus will return and I hate the thoughts of doing all of this again. :X

My question is, does anyone know if a clear sealer for aluminium (not clearcoat lacker please) that I can wipe on and that will keep this crap at bay for long periods?

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Try Master Formula Sealer Gloss. When you have your wheels shined nicely , just apply this and you won't have to do it again for about 9 months, and that's in all weathers. I haven't tried their wheel polish or other stuff, but I've been using the sealer for a couple of years now.

[align=center]
[/align]
[align=center]It's only $12.50 a bottle from; www.master-formula.com[/align]
[align=center][/align]

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Thta's good stuff and it is a clear coat. Many of the ally sealers for aircraft leave a milky appearance and that doesn't look good on Wing wheels.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

I might try that stuff myself. Alread got the wheels shinny enough, and it will be nice to keep them like that without haveing to polish them every couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I'm actually expecting to review the MF Sealer Gloss myself in a few weeks, as soon as my samples arrive. I'm currently using Rejex for my paintwork and wheels (I use English Custom Chrome to get the shine first). The Rejex works on the wheels for about 2 months before breaking down from water spots, it lasts a lot longer on the paintwork (and windshield, visor etc.) and seems to resist spotting on paintwork for many months. The MF Sealer Gloss is supposed to be resistant to water spots so will be better suited to retaining the shine on our wheels for longer. I've read good reports from truckers and people who show their vehicles, but I'm looking forward to trying it out myself.
I'll post the results herelater on, or start a new thread if I can't find this one and old Redwing isn't around to remind me where it is.:D

In the meantime, if anyone else has bought the MF Sealer Gloss and is using it now, I'd be delighted to know what they think of it.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote:
I'm actually expecting to review the MF Sealer Gloss myself in a few weeks, as soon as my samples arrive. I'm currently using Rejex for my paintwork and wheels (I use English Custom Chrome to get the shine first). The Rejex works on the wheels for about 2 months before breaking down from water spots, it lasts a lot longer on the paintwork (and windshield, visor etc.) and seems to resist spotting on paintwork for many months. The MF Sealer Gloss is supposed to be resistant to water spots so will be better suited to retaining the shine on our wheels for longer. I've read good reports from truckers and people who show their vehicles, but I'm looking forward to trying it out myself.
I'll post the results herelater on, or start a new thread if I can't find this one and old Redwing isn't around to remind me where it is.:D

In the meantime, if anyone else has bought the MF Sealer Gloss and is using it now, I'd be delighted to know what they think of it.
I find it great Steve. Using it a couple of years and it does work well. i was tipped about it by some truckers at a show, they just wash the mud off the wheels on their rigs and the water just rolls off. Lots of truckers out here take great pride in their rigs and spend big money and time customizing and detailing them. I seen an old fire truck with mirror shine on the wheels and they had been using the sealer gloss as well.
I personally use it approximately every 9 months and have not experienced furry wheels since 2003, riding all weather and almost all year round. :)

G

·
imported post

wingnut wrote:
I'm actually expecting to review the MF Sealer Gloss myself in a few weeks.
Hey wingnut, :waving:Thats ok pal I will keep a sharp eye on everything for you.:clapper:

I wont let you go astray. :baffled:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey wingnut, :waving:Thats ok pal I will keep a sharp eye on everything for you.:clapper:

I wont let you go astray.
Sucking up to the wingnut won't make you guru any quicker Redwing!! :p

G

·
imported post

Heffo wrote:
Sucking up to the wingnut won't make you guru any quicker Redwing!! :p
Hey Heffo, :waving:I knew this would get some one to post, :gunhead: but ithought you were sharperthan that. :baffled: You obviously dont read all the posts. :stumped: I withdrew my application for "Guru" :weightlifter:eek:n Sun 30th Jan '05,after i read some very sticky posts between 2 "Gurus" :whip: I found it very difficult to understand the tech. words they were using, :crying:so i thought to myself this is not for me. :pumpkin:It's much more relaxing and less stressful just been an ordinary member. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
imported post

So, let's say I polish the aluminum WINDSHIELD garnish on my GL1100 to a chrome-like finish....would this Master Formula Sealer be the right stuff to put over it, or should I use a clear lacquer?

GWEddie wrote:
Try Master Formula Sealer Gloss. When you have your wheels shined nicely , just apply this and you won't have to do it again for about 9 months, and that's in all weathers. I haven't tried their wheel polish or other stuff, but I've been using the sealer for a couple of years now.

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center]It's only $12.50 a bottle from; http://www.master-formula.com[/align]

[align=center][/align]

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

You don't want to put lacker on the wheels. It will crack ane peel and the wheels will look terrible after a while. My understanding of the sealer gloss is that it is not a clear coat but a special wax that seals the pores of the ally against corrosion for long periods.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
You don't want to put lacker on the wheels. It will crack ane peel and the wheels will look terrible after a while. My understanding of the sealer gloss is that it is not a clear coat but a special wax that seals the pores of the ally against corrosion for long periods.

Hi Ted,

My post should have read "WINDSHIELD" garnish...not implying the wheels. Sorry!

Jack

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

That's my fault Jack, I misread your post. I'd say the sealer gloss will do the job. I think the screen garnish has a clearcoat on the 1100 so that will need to be removed first.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
That's my fault Jack, I misread your post. I'd say the sealer gloss will do the job. I think the screen garnish has a clearcoat on the 1100 so that will need to be removed first.

Hi Ted,

Yep, it didn't look like it at first, but there's a clear coat. I sanded part of it down (600, 800, then 1000), then applied some Mothers "Billet" polish, and wow! It looks so much like chrome it's scary. I also removed one of the handlebar clamps with the intention of repainting the scratched black finish, but I sanded it down to the aluminum, used the Billet polish and it looks just like chrome.

That's the good news. The bad news is that I have looked around my bike and found so many aluminum bits that could, COULD be polished up. :)Heck, my fork brace is next, then maybe a larger job like the forks. I know, I know...I'm insane.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

It's easy to get carried away once you start polishing the aluminium bits Jack. I seen the wingnut when he was doing his GL1800 wheels, sanding and polishing like a lunatic. Thought he was nuts at the time, but looking at the finished job made me see it was worth all the sore knuckles he must have ended up with.
A small tip the wingnut gave me about polishing the screen garnish on the GL1100; Don't press to hard in one place with your fingers, the aluminium is very thin and soft and it's all tooeasy to press dinges into the surface. Try to spread the load with your whole hand wherever possible and this will minimize the risk. Do it with the garnish still fitted on the bike so the thing will be supported and mask up the screen and fairing.

G

·
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
I saw the wingnut when he was doing his GL1800 wheels, sanding and polishing like a lunatic i thought he was nuts at the time,
Hey FitzAl, :waving:You cant call the wingnut a Lunatic:whip: He just takes everything very serious. :clapper:

G

·
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
A small tip the wingnut gave me about polishing the screen garnish on the GL1100;
Hey FitzAl, :waving: So thats how you got promoted to "Guru" :baffled: the wingnut tells you everything. :whip:

G

·
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
It's easy to get carried away. Don't press to hard in one place with your fingers. Try to spread the load with your hand wherever possible.
Hey FitzAl, :waving: How did you know that, :jumper: whats her name just said that to me last night. :weightlifter:

:grinner: :18red: :grinner:

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Hey Al, calling the wingnut a lunatic, way to go to keep in his good books! Wonder how long your guru tag will last, I think he should take it offa you and give it to Redwing! :p

G

·
imported post

Grouchomax wrote:
Hey Al, calling the wingnut a lunatic, is not the way to go to keep in his good books! Wonder how long your guru tag will last, I think he should take it off you and give it to Redwing! :p
Hey Grouchomax, :waving:No i dont want it. :gunhead: I didn't make the grade, :crying: anyway after that fright i got from those two "Gurus" a few wks ago, :whip:that made up my mind. :weightlifter:Anyway there is only one "Top Poster" and thats REDWING :18red:The place is full of "Gurus" :baffled:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.