Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last on road 2000, last ran well last year, last started this past spring (choke only), 43000 miles.
It's already a mutant, someone put on honda comstar wheels. It also came with the stockers (pretty rough) and mags from an '83 gold wing.

I have brought back to life a fair number of old bikes (bunch of XS750 triples, a 77 CB750), this is the first one of these!
No idea what I've gotten myself into and don't know anything about these bikes.
Will know much better if I paid too much when I see if it will fire up from a gas IV hooked to the pump (or maybe straight to the carbs). The fuel pump makes me hope it didn't just send gas into the carbs to evaporate for the past 20years.

Hoping the carbs have drains...

Dave

·
Premium Member
70,412 Posts
Hallo Dave

Welcome on this nice forum . Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Welcome and don't forget to change the timing belts

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drains and belts... thanks!
The mikunis on the XS750s I am usually dealing with have a big plug in the bottom, great for making a mess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone said I dare not run it before changing the timing belt?
Does the belt cover come off with minimal disassembly, or does the radiator have to come out?

·
Administrator
27,158 Posts
You can get the covers off without but removing the radiator make it much easier. You probably want to change the coolant and hoses anyway.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You just have to remove the lower radiator bolts and swing out the radiator. You can get the belt covers off without losing antifreeze, but it's a little tricky. Simpler to take out the 2 bolts for the flange on the water pump and swing out the radiator.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,090 Posts
Someone said I dare not run it before changing the timing belt?
Does the belt cover come off with minimal disassembly, or does the radiator have to come out?
You can try it if you want. This is an interference engine, the risk is bent valves. If you are serious about putting this bike back on the road, there are things that must be done. Timing belts are on the list and I would change the radiator hoses too. Might as well do it before you run the engine.

·
Administrator
27,158 Posts
A NAPA 7733 can be cut to make both radiator hoses.

Reactions: siouxindian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Turning over pretty slowly (bad starter?) jumped to car battery, compression with throttle open was 115-100-100-100.
Compression tester in one cyl, other plugs out.

Oiled the cylinders, cranked it a bunch, put the tester in the 115 cyl and it cranked it, it stopped cranking when it built compression, so the cranking is too weak to test the compression.

·
Administrator
27,158 Posts
That's pretty good considering it sat so long. Get it running and the compression will improve.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's pretty good considering it sat so long. Get it running and the compression will improve.
Yeah it can be really bad on the yamaha XS750 as they love to dump gas down the bores, I've seen 40 psi go to 130 with oil and some running.
Just gotta get it cranking well. Hopefully just the solenoid.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The belt covers will come off without loosening the radiator, you have to leave 1 inner bolt in the cover. Or remove the bottom bolts of the radiator and the 2 bolts on the hose flange and swing the radiator out. Antifreeze will drain out. Probably needs replaced anyway.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the info.
Pulled the starter ran it off the bike, turned OK ish but after a split second the bearings did that loose bearing SQRRRRRRRRRLLLLL thing.

The end cap was full of brush material.

Should I get a rebuild kit or are these done at 40000 miles (assume lots of short trips) and I should get another one? Assuming rebuild kits exist.

·
Administrator
27,158 Posts
Clean it out, put a little grease in the bushings and give it a try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Clean it out, put a little grease in the bushings and give it a try.
The current it's pulling, if the brushes look like they have some life left to give, I might try. I haven't even checked for wear indicators or checked spring tension yet.
I am now more skeptical it started earlier this year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts