Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi again, back with yet another question!

On eBay I've seen items like this AM/FM/CB radio splitter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4533356151&category=35580&sspagename=WDVW

My main question is this: what type of antenna would one have to buy to use that? Is it just better to use two separate antennae, one for radio, one for CB? My CB will be aftermarket, not the Hondaline, while my radio is the Clarion.

Second, I've seen antenna mounts such as this:

http://www.wingthings-texas.com/antennamount1100.htm

Where, and how exactly, do these mount to the bike? Mine is an Interstate, and I assume that it mounts to one of the trunk or saddlebag rails. Right?

Thanks again,

Jack

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

http://www.wingthings-texas.com/antennamount1100.htm

Where, and how exactly, do these mount to the bike? Mine is an Interstate, and I assume that it mounts to one of the trunk or saddlebag rails. Right?

this one mounts on the trunk support there should be 2 black plugs that pop out then the mount holes should line up with the holes in the trunk support I belive it take 2 8mm bolts that screw in to the holes

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

About the splitter, teh Honda antennas and the aftermarket ones I've seen all use the Motorola connectors that you see in cars since the stone age. That splitter will work on your GL1100 and at that price is a good buy.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

That splitter has a tuning network inside to trap the CB antenna to provide an output for the FM. The AM could care less.

They dont work well on motorcycle. Slightest bit out of tune and WHAMMO, interference all over the place. They are not water proof either. Go with 2 antennas. Center loaded whip for CB. If you dont want 2 antennas, put about 2 feet of wire in the fairing for the FM and put a FM signal booster in line.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Dave Campbell wrote:
That splitter has a tuning network inside to trap the CB antenna to provide an output for the FM. The AM could care less.

They dont work well on motorcycle. Slightest bit out of tune and WHAMMO, interference all over the place. They are not water proof either. Go with 2 antennas. Center loaded whip for CB. If you dont want 2 antennas, put about 2 feet of wire in the fairing for the FM and put a FM signal booster in line.
Another 2 feet of wire? Heh....no that's ok. :) Seriously, though, thanks for the input. I sort of like the idea of two antennae - makes the old girl look even more like a police motor. :)

Jack

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Jack,

Take your pick, I had one antenna on my GL1200 feeding both the CB and the AM/FM. On my GL1500 I have two antennas (antennae for you literate types) one each for the CB and AM/FM. Both worked acceptably. The antenna combiner's most important function is the keep the CB transmissions from the front end of the AM/FM. You will get better transmitter range with separate antennas, but I didn't see all that much difference in receiving. Personally I'd go with separate antennas. You often can find the antennas and mounts on eBay. On 1500s the mounts attach on either side of the top box, on the 1200s there are chrome plated cast mounts that attach below the aft end of the top box. There are other aftermarket antennas available too of course.

:waving:

I notice you have acquired REDWING's old title. Treat it well, you have an honored precedent to maintain now!

:clapper:

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi Exavid,

Thanks for the input. I've acquired REDWING's old title? What do you mean, "Active Member"? I'm not exactly sure if acquiring his former title is necessarily a good thing... :) :) :cheeky1:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.