·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

$142 for both side covers in what looks like mint condition and complete with badges, doesn't seem too bad. Bordering on it perhaps, but still a decent buy. I've seen tatty ones go for over $100 just for one cover.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Looks like an awesome price for what look like Mint-condition side covers.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

I have to agree with rg... those seem like really nice covers in great condition for $142...

By comparison... raw unpainted side panels for a 1500 run $107...

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/46037/123908

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't be surprised to see them re-listed next week by the new owner with a Buy-it-Now price of $250. I too were watching these from the time they were listed just to see what they would go for, I was surprised when they went so cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Yep. Looks like you are the only one . . . . . :)

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

Well....I'm sure that someone was happy to get them for that price. Sometimes you have to pay to play!

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Heck, I paid $95 for ONE cover on my 1200 and it was cracked with no badges. I had to pay $125 for the stupid lower vent for the fairing. It is stupid, but that's just the way it is. I'd like to see the ratio of wings on the road vs wings in the scrap heap, that probably has a lot to do with it.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

look at the price of the tool compartment boxon a 1200 listed on ebay. some of them are listed for more than new from honda. that being said i still havebought deals on ebay. bought a used factory windshield last week for a 1200, 5o dollars delivered and its in very good condition. patience is the key. i also would have paid that price for those panels if i needed them. regards walkabout :)

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
imported post

If I were trying to sell it, it wouldn't bring $5. If I were trying to buy it, it would get real high real fast.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

I remember buying a COMPLETE set of rear bags WITH the mounts and chrome trim AND a trailer hitch, for $150 shipping included. Now...hell you can't touch a lid for less than $130.

And it wasn't all that long ago I sold a set of 1100 side covers on this very forum for $40 and was told by a few that I was asking to much.

$167 for a pair in really nice shape... oddly enough it's a fair price for today's market.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

If they were the right color.. a bargain!... cost you at least that much to refinish (if you were paying) I paid $50 for one correct cover for my '83 5 years ago..

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

for that price i'd ride around with no side covers and put the rest of the cash in the gas tank jezuz.... i can think of ways 142bucks can go further than 2 pieces of fiberglass

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

...he started at $60. The market said $142.

I went searching for an old Yamaha sidecover a while back. ...the battery side (right side cover). Only one on e-Bay at that time. Dozens of left side covers. Seller wanted $130 BIN. And it wasn't pretty at that...

Those two seem fair to me. Nice looking.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

i can think of ways 142bucks can go further than 2 pieces of fiberglass
I thought they were ABS? :action:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

eBay's auctions are proof the market works. Prices are set by what people are willing to pay, not by what someone demands for them.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

The battery side cover on my Wing was one that the breaker had in stock...Right color etc, price on the back side, if someone wanted to buy it????....$85.00....It was in great condition,...That $85.00 is cheap if you can't find one .... I have under my desk a set or two of side covers, one has a crack that I do plan on fixing, but I'm not thinking of selling them, because until I get some of Rudy's "keepers" I'm hanging onto them....

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

CBH wrote:
Well....I'm sure that someone was happy to get them for that price. Sometimes you have to pay to play!

What's playing,about having good looking side panels, ain't it all about riding the thing? I'd ride without side panels, ain't like you're gonna loose anything off if it on account of not having them andI don't see 'em from the drivers seat anyway, my guess is it's the Prima Donna's that are making thistoo high for the regular guy.

My biggest concern following this kind of stuff is that, how is any one ever again gonna find a reasonably priced GL1100 to just work on and get on the road?

This kind of thing just makes it much more profitable for those with the money and an "I don't care who gets what as long as it sells" attitude to "part it out" and then there's all the "OMG my '80 calipers don't fit the '82 rotors I bought" and there will be so much confusion that even the good people of this forum won't be able to sort it out.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

Hey cool - my auction :)

Remember this thread:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/122917.html

I bought the side covers for that project, but the plan changed.
I sold the bike before fixing it up.

The side covers were left over so I polished out the paint and put them on eBay looking to really just get back what I paid for them.

The final price was more that I was expecting, but what can I say.........
yippie for me!

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

chilidawg,
I didn't see your last post before posting mine but let me assure you that I didn't part out anything and I am far from a Prima Donna.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.