Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any motorcycle I've owned, I've had to make "my own". That is, I've tweaked out to look a little different than when I bought it. Whether it was fixing little things that the PO didn't feel was important enough for them to address, to chrome peices.

On my 1200, I've added chrome disc and rotor covers, changed the rear deflectors to lights, added pin striping, chrome rail along the edge of the luggage box, and a few other small changes. Not enough to make it look ridiculous, but enough to please my eye and set it apart from any other wing.

I've always done this, and I guess I always will, it's an obsession to make it mine by making it different.

I have gotten many compliments from other people, riders and non-riders, but I get a little teasing about it from family. Am I the only one who is not satisfied with a fully functional machine.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
I have always done something to make my bikes unique, and this last wing, I will probably never sell.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Nope, you're not alone :waving:

I received a 2004 Black Chevy Tahoe as a company vehicle and had to promptly buy new aftermarket wheels so it didn't look like everyone else's.

I have been redoing an 87 mustang convertible and have gathered most of the 'showy' parts off craigslist from many different models. It is officially an LX but It has parts from a GT, Saleen and 95 Cobra replica rims also.

Bought a new black 82 Kaw LTD 550 out of high school and have always wanted to get another one so I found an 81 and painted it yellow!!! Not too many of those around LOL.

Now i'm working on my 89 GL1500. It already had a few add ons when I bought it, some of which I've removed in the process of cleaning it all up and changing the belts and filters. I've since added rear speakers and replaced the fronts. I got the multi-colored ring of fire lights to replace the burn out amber ones. I ordered about 400.00 worth of chrome and a seat rain cover. I am in the process of adding an E-Trike kit to it. I also have some LED's to mount underneath and an LED light bar (like from the car 'KIT' on Night Rider)to the back. I also wanted actual lights on the trike fenders instead of just reflectors so I ordered 3 of these http://www.motodynamic.com/product_info.php?cPath=12_13&products_id=203

They have sequential turn signals and flash bright 3 times when the brake is applied. I got one for each fender and I'm hoping to mount the other one just above the license plate under the trunk.

So no, you are not the only one!!:thumbsup:

Some of these pictures are in my 'garage'

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I can't believe you ask this question on a Goldwing forum.

A high percentage of GW owners seem to be in a race against Harley owners to see who can add the most aftermarket and custom-made accessories to their bike.

The question for either brand is really: "Am I the only one fully satisfied with the stock bike?"

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I'm not into motorcycling for the bling of the bike, but the ride, so the only additions I do is for comfort.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

A high percentage of GW owners seem to be in a race against Harley owners to see who can add the most aftermarket and custom-made accessories to their bike.

The question for either brand is really: "Am I the only one fully satisfied with the stock bike?"
My wing is fully stock. Just added a few coats of paint.:waving:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
If you want a bike like nobody else has,,,,,,,,,,,Buy a brand new one and don't change anything!

;)

·
Premium Member
67,711 Posts
I used to, but I got over it about 5 bikes back...........

·
Administrator
27,917 Posts
I'm not into motorcycling for the bling of the bike, but the ride, so the only additions I do is for comfort.

Same here, comfort and function. If it don't do anything I don't put it on.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts

Good point! And funny too! :ROFL:

I'm just as guilty as the next guy, but not so much for the looks of the bike. I can't seem to leave the mechanics alone....

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I do mostly comfort and safety items floorboards they help me stretch my legs out some and extra lights to be seen my wife has one thing she wants ok two arm rest and a mirror in the trunk but thats about it.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
extra lighting is always a plus, especially running lights, chrome doesnt hurt either

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I'm a function over form kinda guy. I like my ride to look nice but it doesn't need to be a head-turner nor does it need to be loud enough that they can hear me coming a county away. For the most part, the Honda engineers did an excelent job with the Goldwing so I don't try to out-guess them.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
My 88 wing came with all the bling already on it. some of the bling however does not fit exactly right so I am removing the "ill-fitting" bling. I wonder, is it making it your own, or is it UNmaking it the previous owners bike. I'm kind of in between.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The items I've added are mostly for comfort and rideability. All Balls steering bearings, better oil and filters a couple new grommets and a coat of wax. And a drink holder for my wife because she asked for it. Plus a carpet kit for my trunk and side bags. I don't need the extra bling. I bought the bike because I thought it was beautiful just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
I go for the comfort and visability stuff myself. Highway pegs, floor boards, LEDs, etc. It doesn't matter if someone likes my ride or not, I just like to be comfortable and very visable to the cagers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've always been in to making all of my vehicles to suit my visual taste. Having said that though, I have always been more in to riding than making them visually appealing. My bikes are never sparkly clean and the bike I had before the wing, an 85 Shadow 1100 had an old Corbin seat on it that I was "customized" with an all duct tape cover since it was ripped to shreds

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Hallelujah! I have found my biker soul brother. I'll take substance over style every time.

Chief

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I like to do both, add things and remove things. Most motorcycles come with a lot of extra plumbing. On my Kawasaki Vulcan 750, I literally filled a 5 gallon bucket by just removing the air injection system and CA evap system. I also removed a huge ugly license plate bracket and light assembly, and attached the plate directly to the fender, using the same holes that the bracket was mounted to. I removed the second throttle cable, and the huge combination Kawasaki emblem/dual side by side horn setup from the front forks, relocated the horns to the side of the bike, one on each side, and ditched the bracket and emblem. I swapped the mirrors between it and my former 250 Rebel. I removed the clutch and lockout switches. But the biggest change was to the front brakes. The Vulcan 750 is a small lightweight bike, and the dual front discs were serious overkill. I completely removed the right side brake, and ran a single hose to the left side (yes, this mod has been proven over more than 55,000 trouble free miles) Brakes work so much better. Also replaced the junk automatic cam chain tensioners with manual ones.

That's about it for removed stuff. Then I added a Memphis Shades Shooter windshield, Kawasaki backrest, luggage rack, and saddlebag mounting brackets/turn signal relocators, along with a set of Auburn Leather bolt on saddlebags, sold through Kawasaki. I also have a T-Bag set up and a tank bag. Oh, and I replaced the amber turn signal lenses with clear, and used amber bulbs. No LEDs. It now suits me perfectly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.