Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I listen to a lot of right wing hate intolerent gun toten radio. Because I like it. I live about mid-way between Austin and San Antonio, just west of New Braunfels in Canyon Lake, Texas. There are three stations I listen to the most, 550 AM in San Antonio, 650 AM in Austin, and 1200 AM in San Antonio. Here is the problem; over the course of the past year, the two stations at the low end, 550 & 650 have been getting a lot more static and hard to "tune in". They seem to come in well when I'm in the car, so I'm thinking something is wrong with the radio on the Wing. Any ideas???? I don't even know where to begin. Any and all help will be gratefully accepted.

Chief

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Your A.M. radio static problem

My '95 GL1500SE's radio was super clear/static-free for first few years I have owned Wing [12+ yrs. to-date]. When reception did start going downhill, yours truly used Tip posted here: Full-strength CLR cleaner dip on each radio plug and socket to clean blade contacts [20 second dip each, w/immediate warm water rinse to prevent contact erosion, followed by good compressed air blow-out]. Applied silicon di-electric contact lube in all sockets/plugs. Replaced all four OEM Honda speakers at this time, as their cones were cracked from age. Finally sent radio to Sierra Electronics for tuneup and MP3 player hook-up cord/switch option. All this did about an 80% improvement. One thing I might yet do: Replace the radio antenna assembly due to it's age..
Hope this may help others. TTFN.....papasmurf in NH :)

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Is the static only when the engine is on ? Does it vary ? As in sort of come and go or a steady thing ?
Might be alternator related, or wearing out of certain parts inside the radio .

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Depending on the year of the bike you might replace the antenna as mentioned before. You might also check all your ground connections for corrosion and/or the antenna connection. "Can Do"

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Is XM radio (or equivalent) still going strong in the US?

One thing I recently discovered for the home are "Internet Radio" devices such as the Logitech Squeezebox Radio. Sure, a computer will do the same job, but having a small-ish internet-enabled device dedicated to music is somehow appealing to me. You just program in your favourite stations (aka internet streams) and then they are available at the touch of a button around the house without having to switch on and lug a computer around.

As much as I've resisted the smartphone invasion, I guess they are currently the device of choice for accessing internet radio *outside* the home, and in this case, on the bike. I wish mobile (aka cell) phone data subscriptions were more affordable. I'm a little bored with maintaining the contents of my Ipod and one day I hope to replace it with a device capable of connecting to the internet on the go. It would be great to listen to my favourite radio stations on the road without having to concern myself with the sound quality and reception limitations of traditional AM or FM radio.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
That should already be possible nico, and many 3G packages allow Internet radio as is. Do you have Vodafone in the Netherlands? Check them out and see what they have to offer.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
That should already be possible nico, and many 3G packages allow Internet radio as is. Do you have Vodafone in the Netherlands? Check them out and see what they have to offer.
Yeah, thanks. I just find them a little expensive still, and capped for data of course, though prices are coming down gradually. Same with the phones...they're getting more and more affordable. I'll take the plunge one of these days.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
You're talking about 3g or 4g and that's not cheap to stream audio/data.

Hey if you want to dance? You gotta pay the band!

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Coming from a Radio TV repair background years ago, my thoughts on that would be this... Electronic components age and certain tunable components like IF transformers, coils can vibrate and change tune over time...

I like the idea of cleaning up all the contacts and also sending it to Sierra with the explanation of what is happening and asking them if they think a realignment is warranted... I can practically guarantee you will pick up at least some performance increase...

Les

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have a goldwing 1800 and am looking for a place that sells parts for the audio system its self. i do not need repairs as i already know what is wrong. i need the rubber membrane that sits between the buttons and keypad on the head unit itself. anyone know of a place that sells parts?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I listen to a lot of right wing hate intolerent gun toten radio. Because I like it. I live about mid-way between Austin and San Antonio, just west of New Braunfels in Canyon Lake, Texas. There are three stations I listen to the most, 550 AM in San Antonio, 650 AM in Austin, and 1200 AM in San Antonio. Here is the problem; over the course of the past year, the two stations at the low end, 550 & 650 have been getting a lot more static and hard to "tune in". They seem to come in well when I'm in the car, so I'm thinking something is wrong with the radio on the Wing. Any ideas???? I don't even know where to begin. Any and all help will be gratefully accepted.

Chief
Idea?
Tune in to better stations that play the good OLD country and western music, or at least the 50's Rock N Roll LOL

Heck you live in Texas, you should be riding high with a 45 strapped to your side in plain sight and listening to Marty Robins or such! :ROFL:

Just joking of course.
I have seen gadgets out there that connect between radio and antenna and claim to boost both AM and FM stations. Never used one myself though so don't know if they are good or junk.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
i have a goldwing 1800 and am looking for a place that sells parts for the audio system its self. i do not need repairs as i already know what is wrong. i need the rubber membrane that sits between the buttons and keypad on the head unit itself. anyone know of a place that sells parts?
Please start a separate thread for this so as not to hijack this one, which is on a different subject. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.