Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
Joined
·
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got a flyer in a bike bandit purchase touting the benefits of joining the AMA? Does anyone have any thoughts on the value of joining? Seems marginal to me.

:waving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,938 Posts
imported post

ubarw wrote:
I got a flyer in a bike bandit purchase touting the benefits of joining the AMA? Does anyone have any thoughts on the value of joining? Seems marginal to me.

:waving:
My sister has had for years uses it for all kinds of things and loves it!:clapper:

Get the premiun tow, 100 miles, if you get it !

I'm over 50 so i have 100 mile towing with "AARP", got my daughter on it and it has been great and well worth the money! didn't want to just be towed to the nearest certified station the 100 miles helps out alot!:clapper:

Dah, half asleep, thought you asked about "AAA"! Ha!:goofygrin:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
imported post

American Medical Association?

Well there are pro's and con's to that. See first of all I am not a doctor and I cannot imagine the boys being that friendly to me, but then AMA members do have inordinately high incomes so there must be something there???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
imported post

Just visited their web site. I did not see what their membership fee was but what ever it is, I did not see any real benifits of joining. You get motel discounts at Red Roof. Red roof is not that popular. Why not at Best Western? They're every where.

10% discount on lubricants? By the time you order them and then pay for shipping, even with the discount, you could probably buy locally just as cheap or cheaper.

3% rebate if you ues their VISA card. Yeah, only if used at a qualified motorcycle retailer and only if you pay full price. Wow!

You get $1.00 off if you go to a motorcyle show. Vision care but only at 2 different providers. Uncrated motorcycle transport, but they dont tell you for how much. Discount if you rent a bike. Come on, I own one. Why would I want to rent one.

I think I'll stop there. I see no real benifit to it!:baffled:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
Just visited their web site. I did not see what their membership fee was but what ever it is, I did not see any real benifits of joining. You get motel discounts at Red Roof. Red roof is not that popular. Why not at Best Western? They're every where.

10% discount on lubricants? By the time you order them and then pay for shipping, even with the discount, you could probably buy locally just as cheap or cheaper.

3% rebate if you ues their VISA card. Yeah, only if used at a qualified motorcycle retailer and only if you pay full price. Wow!

You get $1.00 off if you go to a motorcyle show. Vision care but only at 2 different providers. Uncrated motorcycle transport, but they dont tell you for how much. Discount if you rent a bike. Come on, I own one. Why would I want to rent one.

I think I'll stop there. I see no real benifit to it!:baffled:
Cmon Chris, doctors don't stay at Red Roof Inns. Heck I don't even stay there!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
Cmon Chris, doctors don't stay at Red Roof Inns. Heck I don't even stay there!
Snobs! I'd stay at one if I knew where one was at. I think the closes one to me is on the North end of Kansas City. That is the only one that I have saw.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
Brojees wrote:
Cmon Chris, doctors don't stay at Red Roof Inns. Heck I don't even stay there!
Snobs! I'd stay at one if I knew where one was at. I think the closes one to me is on the North end of Kansas City. That is the only one that I have saw.
Let's ride up there some time...Wait until I finish rebuilding my forks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
imported post

ubarw wrote:
I got a flyer in a bike bandit purchase touting the benefits of joining the AMA? Does anyone have any thoughts on the value of joining? Seems marginal to me.

:waving:
I take Road Bike magazine and have ordered from J.C. Whitney get a few bike-related fliers once in a while. Someone has shared my address, but oh well. When I saw the flier for American Motorcycle Association I checked it out a little bit but agree with most others that have spoken up already; couldn't see a lot of benefits. I can see maybe joining the GWRRA for some of their benefits but this forum has helped me more than other options I've had so far. (Although I do like Road Bike magazine; finally a magazine that isn't just a packaged Harley ad!)

Ruaidh
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
147 Posts
imported post

I'm not advocating joining AMA (not a member) but remember they do actually support and lobby in DC for motorcyclists rights, fair treatment on insurance, etc. Don't know if it's "worth" it, but they do a lot behind the scenes. I haven't paid dues since I was 16 and needed the AMA card to compete. Bob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
imported post

rkjjeep wrote:
I'm not advocating joining AMA (not a member) but remember they do actually support and lobby in DC for motorcyclists rights, fair treatment on insurance, etc. Don't know if it's "worth" it, but they do a lot behind the scenes. I haven't paid dues since I was 16 and needed the AMA card to compete. Bob
A doctor at 16? You are smart!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
rkjjeep wrote:
I'm not advocating joining AMA (not a member) but remember they do actually support and lobby in DC for motorcyclists rights, fair treatment on insurance, etc. Don't know if it's "worth" it, but they do a lot behind the scenes. I haven't paid dues since I was 16 and needed the AMA card to compete. Bob
A doctor at 16? You are smart!!
HeyBrojees, he said that he hasn't paid dues since he was 16, so that leads me to believe that he was a member before he was 16.:goofygrin::grinner::goofygrin::grinner:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
335 Posts
imported post

Hmmmm... depends on what you mean by "value" and "benefits". If you're thinking discounts, towing, money back, etc. the value to you may be minimal.

Politically, the American Motorcycle Association has been instrumental in repealing bike bans, working to bringjustice tocage drivers that run us down and more, includinggetting insurance to actually cover motorcyclists while riding. For example,until the AMA lobbied for a change, the federal rules on medical insurance under the portability act that Clinton signed said that you couldn't be denied medical insurance while riding, hang gliding, rock climbing and so on, but the insurance company could deny _benifits_. Under the old rules, my medical insurance wouldn't pay out if I was in a bike accident, even if it wasn't my fault, but I could drive drunk and put my car upside a tree and the insurance would pay in full! The AMA works for your motorcycle rights on the federal level. Whether you are a member or not, you benefit.

I am also a member of state motorcycle rights organizations (SMRO's) in Missouri and Arkansas, a board member of the Mid South M.I.L.E. (Motorcyclists Improving Legislative Effectiveness) - a symposium of politically-minded motorcyclists in in Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Texas. We regularly visit our state capital to talk with our state representatives, and 2 years ago MILE members took a trip to Washington DC to talk with the "Hired Help" on the national level. the benefit to me is that theseorganizations give weight to my voice with the people that make the secular rules we must live by. Yeah, I'm pretty political, especially when it comes to my rights as a motorcyclist.

Oh, for readers in Europe, the AMA is somewhat akin to FEMA, and the SMRO's are like the individual country's Motorcycle Action Group. Theo Beeldens, Head of MAG Belgium Presents at the Mid- South MILE, letting us know what goes on in Europe. I'm not sure what the rights organizations are in the rest of the world, but now I'll have to find out!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top